Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Massey (Elm Park)

The Lords Clarina are descended from Eyre Massey, sixth son of Hugh Massy of Duntrileague, county Limerick. Eyre Massey was created Baron Clarina in 1800. This particular branch of the Massys inserted an 'e' in their name to distinguish them from the Duntrileague branch of the family. The 3rd Lord Clarina held the title for 62 years in the 19th century. He married Susan Elizabeth Barton, an heiress, and built Elm Park. At the time of Griffith's Valuation the main part of Lord Clarina's estate was situated in the parish of Kilkeedy, barony of Pubblebrien, county Limerick. His seat, Elm Park, was also located in this parish. In the 1870s the estate was comprised of 2,012 acres. The estate was sold in 1923 and the title became extinct in 1952 following the death of the 6th Baron Clarina.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cragbeg Cragbeg Kilkeedy Limerick Clarina 55 Pubblebrien Limerick OSI Ref: R497 519
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 65
Elm Park Elmpark Demesne Kilkeedy Limerick Clarina 55 Pubblebrien Limerick OSI Ref: R503 528
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 65
Spring Lodge/Springfort Ballybronoghe North Killonahan Limerick Patrick's Well 56 Pubblebrien Limerick OSI Ref: R510 490
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • Massey, Lord Clarina Papers, 12 items, 1888-1914. Digital Archive Collection IE LA P45; Limerick City Archives
  • Rough map of section of mill race at Elm [Park] done for Hon Lt Gen Massey 1787. 21 F 40(13); National Library of Ireland
  • Deeds & testamentary documents re estates of Massey family, Co Limerick, 1721-1897, correspondence between Duke of Abercorn & Lord Clarina re Anti Plan of Campaign Association, 1887. 1067/7; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources