The Shees were a Kilkenny family of ancient lineage who married into a number of other significant landowning families in the south and west of Ireland. This branch is descended from the marriage, in the eighteenth century, of Elizabeth Power of Gardenmorris and John O'Shee of Sheestown. In 1851, their grandson, John Power O'Shee of Gardenmorris, was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Kilbarrymeadan and Monksland, barony of Decies-without-Drum, county Waterford. In the 1870s, his younger brother, Nicholas's estate amounted to almost 5000 acres in county Waterford as well as over 2400 acres in county Kilkenny. Sadleir, referring to the 1770s, notes "Richard Power of Gardenmorris, a papist", the father of Elizabeth who married John O'Shee.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Gardenmorris||Gardenmorris||Kilbarrymeadan||Kilmacthomas||Gardenmorris||Decies without Drum||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S446027
OS Sheet: 25
Discovery map: 82
|Mountpatrick||Ballyvadden||Monksland||Kilmacthomas||Gardenmorris||Decies without Drum||Waterford||
OSI Ref: S433031
OS Sheet: 25
Discovery map: 82
- Pedigree of Power of Kilmeadon, Co. Waterford, c.1450 -- 1793. Genealogical Office: Ms.164, p.202 ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Power of Kilmeadon and Garrancorbally, Co. Waterford, of Kilbolane, Carrickalyne, Knocklehan, Roskeen, Ballymagooly and Quartertown Lodge, Co. Cork, c.1480 -- c.1850. Genealogical Office: Ms.179, pp.465-7 ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Power of Gardenmorris, Co. Waterford and of City of Dublin, c.1650 -- 1792. Genealogical Office: Ms.164, p.175 ; National Library of Ireland
- Certificate of descent of Power of Gardenmorris, Co. Waterford and O'Shee of Sheestown, Co. Kilkenny and Newell of Mitchellstown, Co. Cork, 1792. Genealogical Office: Ms.95, p.33 ; National Library of Ireland
- Papers of the families of Shee of Sheestown, Co. Kilkenny and Power of Gardenmorris, Kilmacthomas, Co. Waterford; including genealogical material, copies of seventeenth century documents relating to Sir Richard Shee, nineteenth century correspondence; c.1603-1902. Power O'Shee Papers Ms. 18,482 ; National Library of Ireland
- Irish Tourist Association Survey Files, Barony of Decies without Drum; Waterford County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 176
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 297
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 359
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Barony of Decies without Drum: 97 (Gardenmorris), 172 (Ballyvadden)
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol.II, 50 (Kilbarrymeadan Parish)
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : Gardenmorris, xxvii & 217
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: 469-470
- ''Analecta Hibernica'': AINSWORTH, J.F. Power O'Shee Papers (from 1499), the property of Major P. Power O'Shee, of Gardenmorris, Kilmacthomas, (now in the National Library of Ireland), relating to the families of Shee.. XX (1958), 216-258.
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: AINSWORTH, J.F.National Library Report on Private Collections, No. 167: Report on the Power O'Shee Papers (from 1499), formerly the property of Major P. Power O'Shee, Gardenmorris, Kilmacthomas, now in the National Library of Ireland, relating to the families of Shee of Sheestown, Co. Kilkenny, Cloran, Co. Tipp., etc. and Power of Gardenmorris, and to lands in these counties.
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : 71 (Gardenmorris)
- SMITH, Charles. ''The ancient and present state of the county and city of Waterford''. Third edition edited by Donald Brady. Wateford : Waterford County Council, 2008. : BRADY, Donald. Appendix III, houses mentioned by Smith. p 306.
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 131 (Gardenmorris)
- ''Jnl of the Waterford and South-East of Ireland Archaeological Society'' : Sadlier, T.U. The county of Waterford, 1775. XVI (1913), pp.49-55.
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': FITZGERALD, Ivan. The Power O'Shee family of Gardenmorris, county Waterford. XIV,1 (2014). pp.14-22.