Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Eyre (Clifden)

Thomas Eyre of Bath, Somerset, bought much of the property of John D'Arcy of Clifden, county Galway, for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1850, including the Kylemore estate which he purchased in 1852 and part of the New Forest estate in the barony of Tiaquin. From 1837 the D'Arcy estates were mortgaged to him and his brother Charles Eyre. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he owned about 20 townlands in the parish of Omey, 3 townlands in the parishes of Moyrus and Ballynakill, barony of Ballynahinch and 4 townlands in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin. In 1864 he handed over his Connemara estates to his nephew John Joseph Eyre of London, who is recorded as owning 8,204 acres in the 1870s. The Eyres were absentee landlords and after J.J.Eyre's death in 1894 a trust was set up to administer their property until most of it was purchased by the Land Commission in 1931. The agents for the trust were Joyce, Mackie and Lougheed, solicitors, Galway.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clifden Castle Clifden Demesne Omey Clifden Clifden 22 Ballynahinch Galway OSI Ref: L635 509
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 37

Archival sources

  • Correspondence of John Charles Williams, Bengal Civil Service, to his cousin and legal adviser J.W.Randall of 10 King's Bench Walk, concerning anticipated inheritance under the Will of his wife's great-uncle, Thomas Eyre, of Bath (d.16 Sep 1866), 1884-5. Acc/221; Bath and North East Somerset Record Office
  • Clifden Castle, mounted photo. 022/031; Irish Architectural Archive

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources