Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Harding (Tullamaine)

By the 1870s, Henry Maynard Harding, a lieutenant in the 7th Foot, had either bought or was leasing Tullamaine Castle, county Tipperary, possibly from the Mahers. In 1860 he married Lucy Louisa Holroyde, only daughter of C. K. Magrath of Tralee. They had at least two sons, Morgan Holroyd Maynard Harding and Major Charles Henry Harding. In 1904, the latter married Patience Davies Gilbert and succeeded to an estate in Sussex belonging to that family. In the mid 1870s Henry Maynard Harding owned 232 acres in county Tipperary and in 1880 the sale of Tullamaine was advertised.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Tullamain Castle Tullamain Tullamain Cashel Tullamain 58 Middlethird Tipperary OSI Ref: S152 352
OS Sheet: 69
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • The archive of the Davies-Gilbert family of Eastbourne, Sussex, 1508-1973. GIL ; East Sussex Record Office
  • Land Judges’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Harding, 23 July 1880, Vol 139 (35), MRGS 39/062, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey file, early 1940s, South Tipperary No. 18 (Tullamaine); Tipperary Studies Research Library (Archives), Thurles

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources