Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Harding (Tullamaine Castle)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Maher (Turtulla & Tullamaine) Nicholas Valentine Maher of Turtualla was buried in St Mary's graveyard, Thurles, county Tipperary, in 1871. He was the son of Thomas Maher of Cashel and his wife, Margaret Maher of Loughmore. In 1844 he succeeded to the estate of his cousin Valentine Maher of Turtulla, Member of Parliament for county Tipperary. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his estate was mainly in the parishes of Fertiana, Thurles and Twomileborris, barony of Eliogarty. Valentine's older brother, John, resided at Tullamaine Castle and died childless in 1850. He held land in various baronies in county Tipperary but mainly in the barony of Eliogarty. Nicholas Valentine also died without descendants in 1871. Property belonging to Nicholas Valentine Maher in the suburbs of Carrick on Suir was advertised for sale in May 1856. Hussey records the "late" Nicholas Valentine Maher of Turtulla as the owner of 4,452 acres in county Tipperary. In the 1880s Bateman refers to "Mrs.Maher" of Turtulla as the owner of over 4400 acres in county Tipperary. Parts of the Maher estate were held by the representatives of Lorenzo John Smith in 1906.
Harding (Tullamaine) By the 1870s, Henry Maynard Harding, a lieutenant in the 7th Foot, had either bought or was leasing Tullamaine Castle, county Tipperary, possibly from the Mahers. In 1860 he married Lucy Louisa Holroyde, only daughter of C. K. Magrath of Tralee. They had at least two sons, Morgan Holroyd Maynard Harding and Major Charles Henry Harding. In 1904, the latter married Patience Davies Gilbert and succeeded to an estate in Sussex belonging to that family. In the mid 1870s Henry Maynard Harding owned 232 acres in county Tipperary and in 1880 the sale of Tullamaine was advertised.