Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Hall (Knockbrack)

The Halls were an English family who settled in the north of Ireland at Narrow Water, county Down, in the 17th century. The Knockbrack branch are descended from a younger son and appear to have begun their connection with county Galway in the late 18th century, when the Reverend Francis Hall became Rector of Aughrim. Family members pursued careers in the army and church. General Henry Hall bought about half of the Tiaquin estate of the Burkes, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in October 1851. He built a house in the townland of Knockbrack, which he called Mairwarra, after a place in India, but by the late 19th century the house was called Knockbrack. The Hall estate was in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, and in the 1870s amounted to 4,139 acres in county Galway and 232 acres in county Fermanagh. Pádraig Lane records that Henry Hall also bought the Bodkin estate of 347 acres at Bingarra. In 1906 Henry T. Hall held over 1000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Knockbrack. Deposits of Hall of Narrow Water papers in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland do not appear to relate to any property in Connacht.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Bingarra Bingarra Monivea Loughrea Graigabbey 113 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M536311
OS Sheet: 84
Discovery map: 46
Knockbrack Knockbrack Monivea Loughrea Tiaquin 118 Tiaquin Galway OSI Ref: M525 334
OS Sheet: 71
Discovery map: 46