Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Burke (Tiaquin)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Richardson In the mid 19th century Thomas Richardson owned the Tiaquin estate in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, previously part of the estate of the Burke family. Lane writes that Richardson was from Waringstown, county Down and that he paid £9,250 for the 2,654 acres he bought from the Burkes. In the 1870s the Richardsons owned over 2,500 acres in county Galway. Over 1,500 acres belonging to N. G. Richardson and others were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in December 1913.
Hall (Knockbrack) The Halls were an English family who settled in the north of Ireland at Narrow Water, county Down, in the 17th century. The Knockbrack branch are descended from a younger son and appear to have begun their connection with county Galway in the late 18th century, when the Reverend Francis Hall became Rector of Aughrim. Family members pursued careers in the army and church. General Henry Hall bought about half of the Tiaquin estate of the Burkes, which was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in October 1851. He built a house in the townland of Knockbrack, which he called Mairwarra, after a place in India, but by the late 19th century the house was called Knockbrack. The Hall estate was in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, and in the 1870s amounted to 4,139 acres in county Galway and 232 acres in county Fermanagh. Pádraig Lane records that Henry Hall also bought the Bodkin estate of 347 acres at Bingarra. In 1906 Henry T. Hall held over 1000 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Knockbrack. Deposits of Hall of Narrow Water papers in the Public Record Office of Northern Ireland do not appear to relate to any property in Connacht.
Burke (Tiaquin) The estate of 5,879 acres was in the parish of Monivea, barony of Tiaquin, county Mayo and was advertised for sale in 1851. Martin Francis O'Flaherty was the petitioner. Tiaquin house and demesne were bought by Thomas Richardson and Henry Hall bought the remainder of the estate.