James Anthony McDermott of Ramore married Mary Agnes Blake of Cregg Castle in the early 19th century and this may explain why the McDermotts held Cloghanower and Mountross in the parish of Killeany, barony of Clare, county Galway. Their 822 acres in the parish of Killeany was advertised for sale in 1856. James McDermott was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killimorbologue, barony of Longford and Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, in 1856. In 1873, Anthony Joseph MacDermott of Ramore married Liza, daughter and coheir of Patrick Crean Lynch of Clogher, county Mayo. Over 3,000 acres in county Mayo belonging to him and others was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 13 Mar 1913. The Ramore estate amounted to over 3500 acres in the 1870s. In 1906 James McDermott owned about 250 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Rathmore, valued at £39.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Rathmore||Rathmore Demesne||Killimorbologue||Portumna||Killimor 174||Longford||Galway||
OSI Ref: M780145
OS Sheet: 107
Discovery map: 53
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), MacDermott, 2 Dec 1856, Vol 43, MRGS 39/020, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates Court rentals (O'Brien), McDermott estate, 15 April 1864, Vol 71, MRGS 39/035. (Microfilm copy at NUIG).; National Archives of Ireland
- Ramore. Photographs. 007/069.; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 52
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 291
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 297
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 331 (Maj. McCann)
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Portumna Union, 19.
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol. II, 147.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 335.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 149.
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxxii. 66 (Rathmore)
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 139 (Ramore, Browne)
Modern printed sources
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1904: 369
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1912: 440.
- BENCE-JONES, Mark. ''A Guide to Irish Country Houses''. Revised ed. London: Constable, 1988. : 237
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 78
- ''The Irish Genealogist'': CASTELYN, Mary. The Family of McDermot of Dublin and Ramore, County Galway. XI No. 4 (2005), 277-279
- MELVIN, Patrick. ''Estates and landed society in Galway''. (Dublin: Éamonn de Búrca, 2012). : pp.4, 11-12