Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Blake (Cregg Castle)

Description

Descended from the Blakes of Renvyle and Kiltolla.


Estate(s)

Name Description
McDermott (Ramore/Rathmore) James Anthony McDermott of Ramore married Mary Agnes Blake of Cregg Castle in the early 19th century and this may explain why the McDermotts held Cloghanower and Mountross in the parish of Killeany, barony of Clare, county Galway. Their 822 acres in the parish of Killeany was advertised for sale in 1856. James McDermott was one of the principal lessors in the parishes of Killimorbologue, barony of Longford and Clontuskert, barony of Clonmacnowen, county Galway, in 1856. In 1873, Anthony Joseph MacDermott of Ramore married Liza, daughter and coheir of Patrick Crean Lynch of Clogher, county Mayo. Over 3,000 acres in county Mayo belonging to him and others was vested in the Congested Districts' Board on 13 Mar 1913. The Ramore estate amounted to over 3500 acres in the 1870s. In 1906 James McDermott owned about 250 acres of untenanted land and the mansion house at Rathmore, valued at £39.
Blake (Glenlo) Martin J. Blake writes that Henry Blake of Glenlo Abbey, a medical doctor, was a grandson of Patrick Blake of Kiltullagh and a brother of James Blake of Cregg Castle. Henry Blake died in 1830. In the 1870s this branch of the Blake family owned over 1,000 acres in county Galway. The estate was advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in July 1883 and was comprised of Glenlo Abbey, Annaghmore West in the barony of Tiaquin and Ballynamordoon and Gortdrishagh in the barony of Leitrim.
Blake (Cregg Castle) The Blakes of Cregg Castle, county Galway, were descended from the Blakes of Renvyle and Kiltolla and are said to have won Cregg from the Kirwans in a game of cards at the end of the 18th century. Most of this Blake estate was in the parish of Annaghdown but they also owned land in the parish of Killeany, both parishes in the barony of Clare. In the 1870s James Blake owned 5,615 acres in county Galway. The Cregg estate was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1886 when it was bought back by Francis Blake.
Blake (Corofin) Pierce Joseph Blake, third son of James Blake of Cregg Castle and his wife, Jane Joyce of Mervue, had an estate in the parishes of Cummer and Kilmoylan, barony of Clare, county Galway. He advertised for sale his lands in the parish of Cummer in May 1855 and his land in Tawnaghmore, parish of Kilmoylan in January 1858. He died unmarried in 1877. In April 1869 the lands of Carrowreagh, parish of Cummer were advertised for sale in the Landed Estates' Court by James H. Patrickson. These had been in the possession of Pierce Blake at the time of Griffith's Valuation.
Kirwan (Cregg) The Kirwans of Galway city were established at Cregg Castle in the parish of Annaghdown, barony of Clare, county Galway, by the mid 17th century. Under the Acts of Settlement they were regranted 3,634 acres. Their estate included lands in the parishes of Annaghdown, Lackagh and Kilcoona, barony of Clare, Dunmore and Addergoole, barony of Dunmore, county Galway and in the barony of Clanmorris, county Mayo. In November 1856 they advertised an estate of 5,885 acres for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court and are recorded as still owning 4,308 acres in the 1870s. In 1803 Patrick Kirwan leased Cregg Castle and demesne to Francis Blake and went to live at nearby Baunmore, where his descendants were still resident in the early 20th century. Francis Blake is reputed to have won Cregg Castle in a game of cards. Richard Kirwan, the scientist was an 18th century member of this family. In 1856 Richard Andrew Hyacinth Kirwan advertised for sale 5,885 acres in the baronies of Dunmore and Clare. These lots were eventually sold in May 1857 to Nicholas Kirwan and Mr. Courtney. Parts of the estate of Denis Agar Richard Kirwan were vested in the Congested Districts' Board in July 1906 and April 1907 and negotiations were in progress for a further 1,000+ acre in March 1916.
Blake (Annaghdown) An estate advertised for sale by the Rochforts in 1856 and bought by the Blakes of nearby Cregg Castle for a younger son, Rickard Blake. In the 1870s Richard Blake of Annaghdown owned 1,037 acres in the locality. Blake descendants continued to live at Annaghdown throughout the 20th century.