The Blakes of Cregg Castle, county Galway, were descended from the Blakes of Renvyle and Kiltolla and are said to have won Cregg from the Kirwans in a game of cards at the end of the 18th century. Most of this Blake estate was in the parish of Annaghdown but they also owned land in the parish of Killeany, both parishes in the barony of Clare. In the 1870s James Blake owned 5,615 acres in county Galway. The Cregg estate was offered for sale in the Land Judges' Court in July 1886 when it was bought back by Francis Blake.
- Cregg Castle photos & cuttings. 030/057; Irish Architectural Archive
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 315
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : 217
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: I, 29
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 189
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 37
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 293
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 148.
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxv, 14 (Cregg Castle)
- WALFORD, Edward. 'The County families of the United Kingdom''. London: Chatto & Windus, 1885): p.93
Modern printed sources
- BLAKE, Martin J. ''Blake Family Records'' 1300-1600 1st Series, 1600-1700 2nd Series. London: Elliot Stock, 1902: I, 169-170 & II, 173-174
- BURKE, Sir Bernard. ''A genealogical and heraldic history of the Landed Gentry of Great Britain and Ireland''. London: Harrison & Sons, 1886: I, 154
- ''Irish Times'': Land Judges' Court sale reports, 10 July 1886, p.3