Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barrington (Glenstal)

The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was sheriff in 1714. In the 1820s the Barringtons bought the Cappercullen estate from the Misses Preston, relatives of the Barons Carbery. Glenstal Abbey was built on this property. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet in 1831. He founded Barrington's Hospital in the city. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his son, Sir Matthew Barrington, 2nd Baronet, owned 16 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick, property in the Liberties and city of Limerick and in the parishes of Caheravally, Caherconlish, Cahernarry, Clonkeen and Donaghmore, barony of Clanwillliam and Uregare, barony of Coshma. Daughters of Sir Matthew Barrington married Henry Barry, a Dublin barrister, and the Right Honourable George Augustus C. May, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. In December 1856 the estate of Barry and May at Drumbanny, 1,398 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Sir Matthew Barrington was recorded as the immediate lessor of this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The fee simple estate of Barry and May at Little Kilrush in the Liberties of Limerick was advertised in April 1860. A lithograph of Limerick harbour is included in this rental. Sir Croker Barrington, 4th Baronet of Glenstal, owned 9,485 acres in the 1870s. In June 1850 the rentals of the Shouldham estate, 2890 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and the Annaghbeg estate, 1177 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, held by Thomas Williams and Croker Barrington, were advertised for sale. The Barringtons and the Williams of Drumcondra Castle, county Dublin were related. The Annaghbeg estate, which was previously Goold property, was held under fee farm grant from Colonel George Wyndham and the Shouldham estate under a lease in perpetuity. Griffith's Valuation records Daniel Barrington, second son of the 1st Baronet, holding three townlands in the parish of Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare (the Annaghbeg estate) and in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Doon records from whom Daniel Barrington purchased land in that parish. Daniel Barrington was married to Anne Williams. Griffith's Valuation records the heirs of D. Barrington holding some land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arrra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Anne Barrington of Chester, England, owned 782 acres in that county. The Annaghbeg estate of George White West and William Jameson was advertised for sale again in June 1855. The petitioners were Sir Matthew Barrington and Thomas Williams.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ashroe Ashroe Abington Limerick Glenstal 76 Owneybeg Limerick OSI Ref: R723 591
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 65
Clonshavoy Clonshavoy Abington Limerick Clonkeen 74 Owneybeg Limerick OSI Ref: R696 552
OS Sheet: 6
Discovery map: 65
Glenstal Garranbane Abington Limerick Glenstal 76 Owneybeg Limerick OSI Ref: R738 567
OS Sheet: 7
Discovery map: 65
Tivoli Kilrush St Munchins Limerick Limerick North Rural 58 Limerick City Limerick OSI Ref: R555 568
OS Sheet: 5
Discovery map: 65
Kilmoylan Kilmoylan Lower Doon Tipperary No 2 Doon South 145 Coonagh Limerick OSI Ref: R826 502
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 66
Toomaline House Toomaline Lower Doon Tipperary No 2 Doon South 145 Coonagh Limerick OSI Ref: R850 492
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 66
Cappercullen Cappercullen Abington Limerick Glenstal 76 Owneybeg Limerick OSI Ref: R735 568
OS Sheet: 7
Discovery map: 64
Clonkeen House (Barrington) Clonkeen (Barrington) Clonkeen Limerick Clonkeen 74 Clanwilliam Limerick OSI Ref: R685 547
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 65

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Williams & Barrington, 28 June 1850, Vol 1 (70), MRGS 39/001, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), West & Jameson, 24 June 1856, Vol 41 (3), MRGS 39/019, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Barry & May, 16 Dec 1856, Vol 43 (24) & 15 June 1858, Vol 52 (24), MRGS 39/021 & 39/025, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Barry & May, 17 Apr 1860, Vol 58 (48), MRGS 39/029, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Copy of confirmation of arms to Joseph Barrington of city of Limerick, 15 Sept 1831. GO MS 107:54-55; National Library of Ireland
  • Map of Rossary Beg, Co Tipperary & Ashroe, Co Limerick, showing boundary line agreed on by proprietors, March 1851, ) [Thomas P. Evans held Ashroe from the Barringtons, Griffith's Valuation]. 16 I 17(17) ; National Library of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey file for parish of Murroe, barony of Owneybeg, 1944. Limerick North East 27; Limerick Studies Department, Dooradoyle
  • William B. Fitt & Co, auctioneers, 46 O'Connell St., Limerick, inventories & valuations of Co Limerick properties, including Glenstal, 1925. Ref. 1993.0171; Limerick City Museum
  • Barrington and Son, solicitors' papers. D/3805; Public Record Office, Northern Ireland
  • Map showing the agreed boundary line between the properties of Thomas P. Evans, Ashroe, Co Limerick & R.E. Phillips, Rossery Beg, Co Tipperary, 8 Mar 1851. 16.I.17(17); National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources