Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barrington (Glenstal)

Family title

Baronet


Estate(s)

Name Description
Jameson (Windfield) The Jamesons were a Dublin family well known in the 19th century distilling and banking circles of that city. James Jameson bought the Windfield estate in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, from the Blakes in the early 1820s. He was succeeded by his eldest son the Reverend John Jameson in 1847 and the family continued to occupy Windfield until the early 20th century, although they also had a residence at Montrose in the Dublin suburbs. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 3,123 acres and it was later sold to the Land Commission. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Jameson of Montrose, county Dublin, a brother of the Reverend John Jameson, held land in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In the 1870s he owned 1,434 acres in county Roscommon. His daughter married her first cousin James Francis Jameson of Windfield in 1879. In November 1877, lands which had been the property of the late John Jameson in the barony of Athleague, county Roscommon, were sold in the Landed Estates Court to Messers. Watson and Co. in trust. In 1850 William Jameson and George White West of Ardinode, county Kildare (family of White of White Park, county Fermanagh) bought the Annaghbeg estate in the barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare, from the Barringtons of Glenstal, county Limerick and Thomas Williams in the Encumbered Estates' Court. They advertised the sale of this estate (1187 acres) again in June 1856.
Barrington (Glenstal) The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was sheriff in 1714. In the 1820s the Barringtons bought the Cappercullen estate from the Misses Preston, relatives of the Barons Carbery. Glenstal Abbey was built on this property. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet in 1831. He founded Barrington's Hospital in the city. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his son, Sir Matthew Barrington, 2nd Baronet, owned 16 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick, property in the Liberties and city of Limerick and in the parishes of Caheravally, Caherconlish, Cahernarry, Clonkeen and Donaghmore, barony of Clanwillliam and Uregare, barony of Coshma. Daughters of Sir Matthew Barrington married Henry Barry, a Dublin barrister, and the Right Honourable George Augustus C. May, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. In December 1856 the estate of Barry and May at Drumbanny, 1,398 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Sir Matthew Barrington was recorded as the immediate lessor of this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The fee simple estate of Barry and May at Little Kilrush in the Liberties of Limerick was advertised in April 1860. A lithograph of Limerick harbour is included in this rental. Sir Croker Barrington, 4th Baronet of Glenstal, owned 9,485 acres in the 1870s. In June 1850 the rentals of the Shouldham estate, 2890 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and the Annaghbeg estate, 1177 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, held by Thomas Williams and Croker Barrington, were advertised for sale. The Barringtons and the Williams of Drumcondra Castle, county Dublin were related. The Annaghbeg estate, which was previously Goold property, was held under fee farm grant from Colonel George Wyndham and the Shouldham estate under a lease in perpetuity. Griffith's Valuation records Daniel Barrington, second son of the 1st Baronet, holding three townlands in the parish of Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare (the Annaghbeg estate) and in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Doon records from whom Daniel Barrington purchased land in that parish. Daniel Barrington was married to Anne Williams. Griffith's Valuation records the heirs of D. Barrington holding some land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arrra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Anne Barrington of Chester, England, owned 782 acres in that county. The Annaghbeg estate of George White West and William Jameson was advertised for sale again in June 1855. The petitioners were Sir Matthew Barrington and Thomas Williams.
Evans/Evans-Freke John Evans, of Welsh descent, settled in the city of Limerick in the early 17th century. In 1666 George Evans was granted 2,376 acres in counties Limerick and Tipperary. The Right Honourable George Evans of Bulgaden Hall, parish of Uregare, county Limerick, married Mary, a daughter of John Eyre of Eyre Court, county Galway in 1679. Their eldest son George was created Baron Carbery of Carbery, county Cork, in 1715. He married Anne Stafford of Blatherwick. The descendants of their eldest son George died out in the main line and it was the grandson of their second son, John Evans Freke of Bulgaden Hall, who eventually became the 6th Baron. He was succeeded by his nephew, George Patrick Evans Freke, in 1845. In the early 1850s Baroness Carbery, widow of the 6th Baron, held land in the parishes of Athneasy, Kilbreedy Major, Uregare, baronies of Smallcounty, Coshma and Coshlea, county Limerick, and in the parish of Athnowen, barony of East Muskerry, county Cork. In the 1870s Lord Carbery of Castlefreke, county Cork, owned 13,692 acres in county Cork, 2,724 acres in county Limerick and much smaller estates in counties Kilkenny and Queen's county [county Laois]. The Parliamentary Return of 1876 records Stewart and Kincaid as his land agents. The representatives of Lady Carbery's estate were among the principal lessors in the parishes of Dromdaleague, Durrus, Tullagh, barony of West Carbery, the parishes of Kilkerranmore and Rathbarry, barony of Ibane & Barryroe and the parishes of Ross and Fanlobbus, barony of East Carbery, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Lord Carbery was among the principal lessors in the parish of Kilbrittain, barony of East Carbery, at the same time. The estate was sold by John, Lord Carbery, in 1919.
Shuldham/Shouldham The Shuldhams were originally from Norfolk. In the early 18th century Edmond Shuldham of Ardtully, county Kerry married Mary MacCarthy, daughter and heiress of MacCarthy Spaniagh of Dunmanway, county Cork. Their eldest son, Edmond Shuldham, held lands in the counties of Cork, Limerick and in the city of Dublin. Many members of the family followed military careers. Arthur Lemuel Shuldham of Dunmanyway, and of Pallas Green, county Limerick, had a son Edmond William who was Quarter Master General at Bombay for a number of years. At the time of Griffith's Valuation General Shuldham owned an estate in the parishes of Oola and Tuoghcluggin, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. Thomas Apjohn of Pallas was agent for the Shuldhams circa 1840. In 1851, Maj. Gen. Edmund Anderson Shuldham was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Drinagh, Fanlobbus and Kilmichael, barony of East Carbery, county Cork. His estate in county Cork in the 1870s amounted to over 13,000 acres.