Rev William Jameson was married to Elizabeth daughter of Arthur Guinness of Dublin and sister of Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness.
|Jameson (Cong)||At the time of Griffith's Valuation the Reverend William Jameson, brother-in-law of Benjamin Lee Guinness, held three townlands in the parish of Cong, barony of Kilmaine, county Mayo, previously part of the O'Donel of Newport estate. In 1876 he owned 1831 acres in county Mayo and 316 acres in county Galway. At the same time another member of the Jameson family, John Jameson of Dublin, owned 7012 acres in county Mayo valued at £106.|
|McDonnell (Carnacon)||The McDonnells were settled in the Ballintober area of county Mayo from the 18th century, where they acted as agents and middlemen to some of the larger landowners. James Joseph McDonnell of Carnacon was one of the leaders of the 1798 Rebellion in the locality. By the mid 19th century the McDonnells of Carnacon, parish of Burriscarra, barony of Carra, held the Chevers estate in that parish and in the parish of Ballintober. There was a marriage between members of the two families in 1822. They also had lands in the parish of Bohola, barony of Gallen and the townland of Sheskin, containing almost 7,000 acres, in the parish of Kilcommon, barony of Erris. Most of their estate was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in 1853. Lane indicates that it was bought by Mr. Cheevers; apparently in trust for his third son Joseph who adopted the additional surname of McDonnell according to the terms of his maternal uncle's will. Joseph's mother was Eleanor McDonnell of Carnacon. A Myles McDonnell was selling land in the parish of Clontuskert, baronies of Clonmacnowen and Kilconnell, county Galway in July 1853.|
|Guinness||Sir Benjamin Lee Guinness of the famous brewing family began to purchase Connacht estates for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court from 1852. He bought the Ashford estate from Lord Oranmore and Browne, the Doon estate from Sir Richard O'Donel, the Cong estate from Alexander Lambert, part of the Rosshill estate from Lords Charlemont and Leitrim, parts of Connemara from Christopher St George and Kylemore from a banking consortium in 1859. Guinness acquired lands in county Kerry in the 1850s and was a principal lessor in the parish of Kilcrohane, barony of Dunkerron South at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He bought the Elwood estate of Strandhill, just across the river from Ashford, Cong, in 1871 and Lord Kilmaine sold him Inishdoorus, islands on Lough Corrib and lands in the barony of Ross, part of Nymphsfield in 1875. William Burke of Lisloughry was his agent. Arthur Guinness (1840-1915) was granted the title Baron Ardilaun in 1880. In the 1870s Arthur Guinnes owned 19,944 acres in county Galway, 3,747 acres in county Mayo and smaller acreages in counties Wicklow and Dublin. In 1906 Lord Ardilaun's estate held over 1700 acres of untenanted demesne land at Moyode, Loughrea as well as the mansion house at Moyode. By March 1916 final offers had been accepted from the Congested Districts' Board for over 2000 acres of the Guinness estate in county Mayo and for almost 28,000 acres in county Galway. The Board paid £50,000 for the Galway acreage. An offer had also been accepted for the purchase of the Aran Islands by the Board. The Guinness and St Lawrence families had inherited the Aran Islands from the Digbys through the Barfoots. The Guinness family retained Ashford Castle and the surrounding woods until 1939 when the property was sold to the Irish Government.|
|Blake (Windfield)||This family was transplanted to Mullaghmore, parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway under the Cromwellian settlement. Burke's 'Landed Gentry of Ireland' (1904) records that they purchased Windfield in 1703. Under the will of John Blake 27 Feb 1786 the estate passed to his cousin John Blake of The Heath, county Mayo, a younger son of the Blakes of Renvyle. This John Blake had married a daughter of Christopher Bowen of Hollymount and the Bowen property, known as The Heath, passed to the Blakes. Over 1200 acres of the estate of Henry Martyn Blake (1796-1857) in the baronies of Kilmaine and Clanmorris were advertised for sale in 1853 and the Kilmaine portion again in 1855. The remainder of the estate in the baronies of Clanmorris (The Heath)and Costello (Kilnock) and Tiaquin, county Galway (Brierfield) was sold by John Henry Blake in 1863. The county Galway estate of Windfield appears to have been sold to the Jameson family in the 1820s. The Annefield estate was vested in the Congested Districts' Board in 1905.|
|Jameson (Windfield)||The Jamesons were a Dublin family well known in the 19th century distilling and banking circles of that city. James Jameson bought the Windfield estate in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway, from the Blakes in the early 1820s. He was succeeded by his eldest son the Reverend John Jameson in 1847 and the family continued to occupy Windfield until the early 20th century, although they also had a residence at Montrose in the Dublin suburbs. In the 1870s the estate amounted to 3,123 acres and it was later sold to the Land Commission. At the time of Griffith's Valuation William Jameson of Montrose, county Dublin, a brother of the Reverend John Jameson, held land in the parish of Athleague, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon. In the 1870s he owned 1,434 acres in county Roscommon. His daughter married her first cousin James Francis Jameson of Windfield in 1879. In November 1877, lands which had been the property of the late John Jameson in the barony of Athleague, county Roscommon, were sold in the Landed Estates Court to Messers. Watson and Co. in trust. In 1850 William Jameson and George White West of Ardinode, county Kildare (family of White of White Park, county Fermanagh) bought the Annaghbeg estate in the barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare, from the Barringtons of Glenstal, county Limerick and Thomas Williams in the Encumbered Estates' Court. They advertised the sale of this estate (1187 acres) again in June 1856.|
|Jameson (Sheskin)||John Jameson of Dublin owned over 7,000 acres in county Mayo in the 1870s. He appears to have purchased the McDonnell's estate in the barony of Erris which was advertised for sale in 1853.|
|Barrington (Glenstal)||The Barringtons settled in Limerick city at the end of the 17th century, Benjamin Barrington was sheriff in 1714. In the 1820s the Barringtons bought the Cappercullen estate from the Misses Preston, relatives of the Barons Carbery. Glenstal Abbey was built on this property. Joseph Barrington was created a baronet in 1831. He founded Barrington's Hospital in the city. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his son, Sir Matthew Barrington, 2nd Baronet, owned 16 townlands in the parish of Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick, property in the Liberties and city of Limerick and in the parishes of Caheravally, Caherconlish, Cahernarry, Clonkeen and Donaghmore, barony of Clanwillliam and Uregare, barony of Coshma. Daughters of Sir Matthew Barrington married Henry Barry, a Dublin barrister, and the Right Honourable George Augustus C. May, Lord Chief Justice of Ireland. In December 1856 the estate of Barry and May at Drumbanny, 1,398 acres in the barony of Clanwilliam, was advertised for sale. Sir Matthew Barrington was recorded as the immediate lessor of this property at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The fee simple estate of Barry and May at Little Kilrush in the Liberties of Limerick was advertised in April 1860. A lithograph of Limerick harbour is included in this rental. Sir Croker Barrington, 4th Baronet of Glenstal, owned 9,485 acres in the 1870s. In June 1850 the rentals of the Shouldham estate, 2890 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and the Annaghbeg estate, 1177 acres in the barony of Tulla, county Clare, held by Thomas Williams and Croker Barrington, were advertised for sale. The Barringtons and the Williams of Drumcondra Castle, county Dublin were related. The Annaghbeg estate, which was previously Goold property, was held under fee farm grant from Colonel George Wyndham and the Shouldham estate under a lease in perpetuity. Griffith's Valuation records Daniel Barrington, second son of the 1st Baronet, holding three townlands in the parish of Kiltenanlea, barony of Tulla Lower, county Clare (the Annaghbeg estate) and in the parish of Doon, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick. The Ordnance Survey Name Book for the parish of Doon records from whom Daniel Barrington purchased land in that parish. Daniel Barrington was married to Anne Williams. Griffith's Valuation records the heirs of D. Barrington holding some land in the parish of Kilvellane, barony of Owney and Arrra, county Tipperary. In the 1870s Anne Barrington of Chester, England, owned 782 acres in that county. The Annaghbeg estate of George White West and William Jameson was advertised for sale again in June 1855. The petitioners were Sir Matthew Barrington and Thomas Williams.|