Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Daly (Raford)

The Daly family of Raford were descended from the Dalys of Carnakelly. The Raford estate was bought by Denis Daly in 1716 from the Clanricarde family. It included lands in five baronies but had altered in composition by the 19th century. In 1824 Malachy Daly of Raford is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. Malachy was one of three Daly brothers who succeeded each other as the owner of Raford. The last of these, Hyacinth, was pre-deceased by his son (also Hyacinth, who had married Harriett Bodkin of Annagh) and so the Daly of Raford estate passed to John Archer Blake of Furbough, whose mother was Maria Daly. In accordance with the stipulations of his inheritance he changed his name to Daly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Harriet Daly, (nee Bodkin) was leasing Raford House to her brother, Denis Bodkin. John Archer Daly owned over 8000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1915 over 500 acres of untenanted land on J.A. Daly's estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board. Jordan states that much of the lands of the Raford estate were acquired by the Irish Land Commission in the 1920s and Raford House was sold in 1926.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Raford Raford Kiltullagh Loughrea Raford 128 Athenry Galway OSI Ref: M604264
OS Sheet: 85
Discovery map: 46
Abberanville Abberanville Kiltullagh Loughrea Raford 128 Athenry Galway OSI Ref: M610232
OS Sheet: 97
Discovery map: 46

Archival sources

  • Private Possession; National Archives, UK
  • Raford. Photographs & Press Cuttings. 024/085.; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Copy of map of Raford estate, 1833. ; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway
  • Photographs Lynch family of Petersburg & Daly family of Raford. P88; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources