Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Bodkin (Annagh)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Bodkin (Annagh) The Bodkins, one of the ‘Tribes’ of Galway, were granted Annagh and other lands in the barony of Clare, county Galway, in the late 17th century. They intermarried with the Brownes of Coolarne, the Brabazons of Swinford and the Kirwans of Castlehacket. In 1808 a daughter, Margaret, married John Bodkin of Bengarra and their grandson, Martin, succeeded to the lands of Annagh following the death of his cousin Robert in 1881. The Bodkin estate was in the parishes of Kilmoylan, Lackagh and Tuam and amounted to 6481 acres in the 1870s. In the 1830s Dennis Bodkin of Annagh acted as agent for J. Bodkin in administering property in the parish of Kilcolgan. The mother of Olivia Mary Blake Taaffe (1832-1918), foundress of St Joseph's Young Priests Society, was a Bodkin of Annagh.
Daly (Raford) The Daly family of Raford were descended from the Dalys of Carnakelly. The Raford estate was bought by Denis Daly in 1716 from the Clanricarde family. It included lands in five baronies but had altered in composition by the 19th century. In 1824 Malachy Daly of Raford is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. Malachy was one of three Daly brothers who succeeded each other as the owner of Raford. The last of these, Hyacinth, was pre-deceased by his son (also Hyacinth, who had married Harriett Bodkin of Annagh) and so the Daly of Raford estate passed to John Archer Blake of Furbough, whose mother was Maria Daly. In accordance with the stipulations of his inheritance he changed his name to Daly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Harriet Daly, (nee Bodkin) was leasing Raford House to her brother, Denis Bodkin. John Archer Daly owned over 8000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1915 over 500 acres of untenanted land on J.A. Daly's estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board. Jordan states that much of the lands of the Raford estate were acquired by the Irish Land Commission in the 1920s and Raford House was sold in 1926.
Bodkin (Castletown & Mountsilk) From the 17th century the Bodkins were established in the parish of Moylough, barony of Tiaquin, county Galway. John Bodkin leased the Castletown estate in the parish of Kilkerrin, barony of Tiaquin, from the Echlin family in 1776 and the Bingarra estate from the Bodkins of Thomastown in 1789. He also purchased land from Denis Bowes Daly in the barony of Kilconnell in 1794. He became a very extensive stock breeder and land holder. He left his property to his two sons Dominick and John Bodkin. They both were indebted to their brother-in-law, Anthony Clarke and the Bodkin estates were entangled in protracted litigation for a long period of time, resulting in their sale in the Encumbered and Landed Estates' Courts. Bingarra, barony of Tiaquin (bought by Henry Hall) and Ballybogan, barony of Kilconnell (bought by Lord Dunsandle), were advertised for sale in November 1855 and Laughill, barony of Tiaquin in November 1858. At the time of Griffith's Valuation John Bodkin owned three townlands in the parish of Dunmore, barony of Ballymoe, which were advertised for sale by Thomas James Bodkin in 1864, with Ballydoogan and the islands in the barony of Kilconnell. John Samuel Barrett of Greenhills, was the purchaser of some of these lots. The representatives of Thomas J. Bodkin are recorded as holding over 350 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1808 John Bodkin of Bingarra married Margaret Bodkin of Annagh and their grandson Martin Bodkin inherited the Annagh estate, barony of Clare, following the death of his cousin Robert Bodkin of Annagh in 1881.
Hussey (Corkaguiny) Members of the Hussey family held property in several parishes in the parish of Corkaguiny at the time of Griffith’s Valuation, including Walter, who was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kildrum and James, who held several townlands in the parishes of Currans and Killeentierna, barony of Trughanacmy. The Ordnance Survey Name Books had reported Jane Hussey of Brandon Lodge as a proprietor in the parish of Clahaan in the 1830s, leasing from Lord Ventry's estate. In the 1870s Edward Hussey owned over 4000 acres, Samuel over 3000 and James over 2,700 acres in county Kerry. Bateman recorded Samuel Murray Hussey as the owner of over 7000 acres in county Kerry in 1883. In 1854, over 150 acres of Edward's estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court, with Samuel Murray Hussey as petitioner. In February 1861 the estate of Samuel Murray Hussey of Rocklodge, county Cork, was advertised for sale. It included 100 acres of Roverkella, parish of Rahara, barony of Athlone, county Roscommon and annuities payable out of lands in county Tipperary. The county Roscommon land may possibly have come into the possession of the Husseys through the marriage of Samuel's grandfather, John Hussey of Dingle, with Helen Bodkin of Annagh, county Galway. The purchasers were Messers. Davis [in trust], Atkinson & Gibson. Samuel Murray Hussey (1824-1913) was a land agent and wrote a book published in 1904 entitled ''Reminiscences of an Irish Land Agent''. In 1906 terms had been arranged by the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 1300 acres of the Hussey estate in county Kerry. In 1909 the Board reported that over 1300 acres had been purchased from Samuel Murray Hussey.