Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Daly (Raford)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Lynch (Petersburg) This family settled at Ballynonagh Castle on the shore of Lough Mask, barony of Ross, county Galway, in the mid 17th century. Maurice Lynch received 541 acres of Ballynonagh and surrounding area by royal grant dated 30 June 1681. Peter Lynch later built the house known as Petersburg nearby. It was named after him and had no connection apparently with the famous city. The Lynch estate was mainly in the parish of Ballinrobe. The family was Catholic and a small oratory was built near the house in the mid 19th century. In 1876 Richard Lynch owned 7260 acres in county Galway, with an additional 469 acres in the possession of Mrs Lynch of Petersburg. In 1899 the heiress to this estate married Denis Daly of Raford, county Galway. An estate in county Mayo amounting to 9,371 and belonging to R.C. Lynch was included in a list of estates bought by the Congested Districts Board after the passing of the Land Act of 1903 published in the 18th report of the Board 1909.
Daly (Raford) The Daly family of Raford were descended from the Dalys of Carnakelly. The Raford estate was bought by Denis Daly in 1716 from the Clanricarde family. It included lands in five baronies but had altered in composition by the 19th century. In 1824 Malachy Daly of Raford is described as a resident proprietor in county Galway. Malachy was one of three Daly brothers who succeeded each other as the owner of Raford. The last of these, Hyacinth, was pre-deceased by his son (also Hyacinth, who had married Harriett Bodkin of Annagh) and so the Daly of Raford estate passed to John Archer Blake of Furbough, whose mother was Maria Daly. In accordance with the stipulations of his inheritance he changed his name to Daly. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Harriet Daly, (nee Bodkin) was leasing Raford House to her brother, Denis Bodkin. John Archer Daly owned over 8000 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. In 1915 over 500 acres of untenanted land on J.A. Daly's estate was vested in the Congested Districts Board. Jordan states that much of the lands of the Raford estate were acquired by the Irish Land Commission in the 1920s and Raford House was sold in 1926.
Daly (Eyrecourt & Bellgrove) Woodview House and 89 acres, the property of Richard Gore Daly, were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in June 1857. The schedule indicates that this property was formerly part of the Eyrecourt Castle estate, "lately sold in this court". Lane indicates that this property was purchased by Allen Pollok. Richard Gore Daly of Woodview was the son of Hyacinth Richard Daly of Mount Pleasant, county Galway, a branch of the Raford family. In the 1860s Hyacinth Richard Daly owned 130 acres in fee simple at Bellgrove, parish of Finnoe, barony of Lower Ormond, county Tipperary. This estate was offered for sale in June and November 1863. It included Bellgrove House which was in an unfinished state.