Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lynch (Petersburg)

This family settled at Ballynonagh Castle on the shore of Lough Mask, barony of Ross, county Galway, in the mid 17th century. Maurice Lynch received 541 acres of Ballynonagh and surrounding area by royal grant dated 30 June 1681. Peter Lynch later built the house known as Petersburg nearby. It was named after him and had no connection apparently with the famous city. The Lynch estate was mainly in the parish of Ballinrobe. The family was Catholic and a small oratory was built near the house in the mid 19th century. In 1876 Richard Lynch owned 7260 acres in county Galway, with an additional 469 acres in the possession of Mrs Lynch of Petersburg. In 1899 the heiress to this estate married Denis Daly of Raford, county Galway. An estate in county Mayo amounting to 9,371 and belonging to R.C. Lynch was included in a list of estates bought by the Congested Districts Board after the passing of the Land Act of 1903 published in the 18th report of the Board 1909.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Petersburg Petersburg Ross Oughterard Cloonbur 157 Ross Galway OSI Ref: M083 572
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 38
Benlevy Lodge Petersburg Ross Oughterard Cloonbur 157 Ross Galway OSI Ref: M078 569
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 38

Archival sources

  • Lynch family and estate papers, including rentals and correspondence, 19th & 20th centuries. MS 18,958-18,963; National Library of Ireland
  • [Blake estate maps], map of 2 quarters of Ballynonagh, Arthur French, 17[51 or 91]. 21.F.74(4); National Library of Ireland
  • Photographs Lynch family of Petersburg & Daly family of Raford. P88; James Hardiman Library, National University of Ireland, Galway

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources