Landed Estates
NUI Galway

O'Kelly (Gortray/Fairfield)

Ambrose O'Kelly was the one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kilmalinoge, barony of Longford, county Galway at the time of Griffith's Valuation. The estate of William O'Kelly of Gortray amounted to over 900 acres in the 1870s. In 1906 John A. O'Kelly owned over 500 acres of untenanted land in Kilmalinoge including the mansion house at Gortray. The property later passed by the inheritence to the Deasy family. In 2007 it was offered for sale.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Gurtray/Gortrea/Gortray/Fairfield Gortrea or Fairfield Kilmalinoge Portumna Kilmalinoge 181 Longford Galway OSI Ref: M848085
OS Sheet: 118
Discovery map: 53

Archival sources

  • Gurtray. Photographs. 024/076.; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Family letters in the possession of Count John D. O'Kelly of Gurtray, Portumna, Co. Galway concerning the family of O'Kelly de Gallagh and Tycooly, Co. Galway and the family of Plunkett of Mount Plunkett and Keclogues, Co. Roscommon, 1772-1828. O'Kelly Papers, n.5297, p.5406 ; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources