The Irwin estate at Tanrego was purchased by Verschoyle in the 1860s. According to the OS name books the Verschoyles had previously held land in the parishes of Kilglass and Kilmoremoy, Barony of Tireragh. Rev. Joseph Verschoyle held Glebe lands in the parish of Kilmoremoy and occupied buildings valued at £30 in 1857. In 1906 Richard J. Verschoyle is listed as the occupier of lands at Tanrego East including the mansion house. In 1912 an offer was accepted from the Congested Districts Board for the purchase of over 1200 acres of the Verschoyle estate.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: G604089
OS Sheet: 38
Discovery map: 32
|Tanrego||Tanrego East or Carrowmore||Dromard||Dromore West||Dromard East 24||Tireragh||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G601313
OS Sheet: 19
Discovery map: 25
|Ardnaree Rectory||Glebe||Kilmoremoy||Ballina||Ardnaree South 3||Tireragh||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G246181
OS Sheet: 29
Discovery map: 24
OSI Ref: G311321
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 24
- Court of Chancery, particulars of sale of lands of Richard John Verschoyle, 1896. F.C./D.4/20; Sligo County Library
- Land Judges' Court Rental, Richard John Verschoyle, Lugbawn, Co Sligo, 30 Mar 1894 & 10 July 1896. Small Accs. Index 1/65, Rentals 63 & 64; National Archives of Ireland
- Tanrego photographs. 016/022. ; Irish Architectural Archive
- Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes a mortgage of estates to secure £5,000 & interest, Verschoyle to Wallace & Browne, 1871. Small Accs. Index 98, D.22,086; National Archives of Ireland
- Baker, Ringwood & Gordon, solicitors' collection, includes papers re property of Verschoyle family, including Tanrego. Small Accs. Index 105, M.4143(1-85); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 459
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 323
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 390.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 60.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Ballina Union
- SLATER, Isaac. ''Royal National Directory of Ireland: List of the principal seats''. (Manchester: 1894) : xxxiii, 44 (Tanregoe)
Modern printed sources
- NATIONAL LIBRARY OF IRELAND. Reports on Private Collections: Report on Dowdall papers relating to Dowdall and Verschoyle families and lands in Sligo, Mayo, Meath, Kildare and Offaly. No. 99.
- MONTGOMERY-MASSINGBERD, Hugh (ed). ''Burke's Irish Family Records''. London: Burke's Peerage, 1976: 1163.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 367-368 (Kilglass)