Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Moore (Mooresfort)

Charles Moore, a member of the Moore family of Crookedstone, county Antrim, purchased the Mooresfort estate in county Tipperary circa 1850. His son, Arthur John Moore, had seats at Mooresfort and Aherlow Castle, county Tipperary and was created a Papal Count in 1879. He founded the Mount St Joseph Cistercian Abbey at Mount Heaton, county Offaly. In the 1870s Arthur Moore of Moorsfort owned 10,199 acres in the county and Miss Moore of Mooresfort owned 510 acres.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mooresfort Mooresfort Lattin Tipperary Lattin 158 Clanwilliam Tipperary OSI Ref: R803 334
OS Sheet: 66
Discovery map: 66
Aherlow Castle Ballagh Templeneiry Tipperary Bansha 146 Clanwilliam Tipperary OSI Ref: R932324
OS Sheet: 67
Discovery map: 66

Archival sources

  • Copy of grant of arms to the descendants of Arthur Moore of Mooresfort, Co. Tipperary by Mary O'Hara, his wife and to his son, Charles Moore of Mooresfort, Nov. 11, 1856. Genealogical Office: Ms.108, pp.149-50 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Feilding family of Newnham Paddox Collection includes some 20th century correspondence of the Moores of Mooresfort. CR 2017; Warwickshire County Record Office
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey file, early 1940s, South Tipperary No. 25 (Mooresfort); Tipperary Studies Research Library (Archives), Thurles

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources