Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Moore (Mooresfort)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Moore/Crosbie Moore (Mooresfort) At the time of Griffith's Valuation Maurice Crosbie Moore held an estate in the parish of Grean, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick, and Edward Crosbie Moore held land in the parishes of Ballynaclogh and Kilteely, barony of Coonagh, county Limerick and Lattin, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. Maurice C. Moore was the son of Edward Moore of Mooresfort, county Tipperary and his wife Elizabeth Crosbie. In 1814 Maurice Crosbie Moore married Diana, daughter of Charles Brydges Woodcock. They were divorced in 1825 by an Act of Parliament and Diana married Richard Hobart Fitzgibbon a few months later. He became 3rd Earl of Clare in 1851. Maurice and Diana Moore had a daughter, Emily, who married Lord Cecil James Gordon, son of the 9th Marquess of Huntly in 1841. The Gordons assumed the additional name of Moore in 1850 and Lord Cecil is recorded in Griffith's Valuation as holding one townland of 48 acres in the parish of Grean. In June 1851 their estate of 1,887 acres in the barony of Coonagh, county Limerick was advertised for sale. The Freeman's Journal gives details of the purchasers. The Mooresfort estate of Henry Moore was advertised for sale in May 1852. It was bought by Charles Moore of Crookedstone, county Antrim.
Butler (Garnavilla) James Archer Butler JP, of Garanvilla, Cahir, county Tipperary, was the lessor of lands at Ballinadee, barony of East Carbery, county Cork, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. He also held land in the parish of Templeneiry, barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary. In May 1854, over 1800 acres of his estates in counties Cork (East Carbery) and Tipperary (barony of Clanwilliam) were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Lot I Aherlow Castle was leased to the Reverend William Keane. The Moores of Moorefort appear to have purchased some of this estate.
Moore (Mooresfort) Charles Moore, a member of the Moore family of Crookedstone, county Antrim, purchased the Mooresfort estate in county Tipperary circa 1850. His son, Arthur John Moore, had seats at Mooresfort and Aherlow Castle, county Tipperary and was created a Papal Count in 1879. He founded the Mount St Joseph Cistercian Abbey at Mount Heaton, county Offaly. In the 1870s Arthur Moore of Moorsfort owned 10,199 acres in the county and Miss Moore of Mooresfort owned 510 acres.
Ashe (Ashgrove, Templeneiry) Descended from a Somerset family, Jonathan Ashe settled in the barony of Clanwilliam, county Tipperary, in the early 18th century. In the early 19th century his descendant, Trevor Lloyd Ashe, son of Lovett Ashe and Waller Lloyd, held the estate. When Trevor L. Ashe died in 1822 he left Ashgrove to his nephew, Trevor Lloyd Ashe, the son of his sister Arabella Ashe and her husband Captain Henry Ashe of the 16th Regiment of Foot. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Trevor Lloyd Ashe, held an estate mainly in the parish of Templeneiry but also in Cordangan, barony of Clanwiliam. In May 1854 this estate of over 7,600 acres was advertised for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court and purchased by Charles Moore [of Mooresfort] of Liverpool. [Rev] Trevor Lloyd Ashe had a brother John Henry Ashe and a sister Margaretta Mary who married John Moore Mulcahy of Summerville, county Tipperary in 1846.