Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Caswell

The Caswell family were farmers and millers in the Blackwater locality, parish of St Patricks, county Clare, just north of Limerick city. Memorials in the Registry of Deeds record Andrew Caswell leasing part of his holding in Derramore Mill, which he held from Thomas McAdam, to his eldest son Samuel Caswell in 1801. In 1837 Lewis refers to the two large flour mills owned by S. Caswell at Blackwater. In the mid 19th century Samuel and Andrew Caswell both held townlands in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, while Mary Caswell held land in the parish of Killaloe, barony of Tulla Lower. Samuel Caswell's house, offices, miller's house and flour mill at Rosmadda West were valued at £85 in Griffith's Valuation. He had purchased Rosmadda and other lands from the sale of the Clive estate in 1842. In the 1870s Mary Caswell of Blackwater owned 935 acres according to the return of landowners of one acre or more while Hussey gives her acreage as 2,995 acres. In 1877 Mary Eliza Caswell married as his second wife Richard M.S. Maunsell of Oakly Park, county Kildare and their son sold the Caswell estate to the Congested Districts' Board in the 1910s. A detailed account of the Caswell family can be consulted at www.moonraker.com/genealogy/caswell/relatives.doc

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Ballyglass Ballyglass St Patricks Limerick Ballyglass 113 Bunratty Lower Clare OSI Ref: R607 618
OS Sheet: 53
Discovery map: 58
Blackwater House Rosmadda West St Patricks Limerick Ballyglass 113 Bunratty Lower Clare OSI Ref: R596 625
OS Sheet: 53
Discovery map: 58
Craggaunowen Castle Craggaunowen Quin Tulla Dangan 143 Bunratty Upper Clare OSI Ref: R465 736
OS Sheet: 43
Discovery map: 58

Archival sources

  • Memorial 570.297.381 & 382: Memorial 630.174.431697; Registry of Deeds
  • Map of Blackwater Mills, surveyed for Samuel Caswell by Richard Cummeen, June 1818. LM2001.0025; Limerick City Museum

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources