Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Clive (Co Clare)

Family title

Baron Clive of Plassey, Co Clare; Earl of Powis


Estate(s)

Name Description
Rosengrave (Rosingrave) The Rosengrave family were associated with the Gort, county Galway, locality from at least the late 18th century. John Rosengrave of Gort had three sons John, Matthew and Jeremiah. Matthew Rosengrave is recorded as leasing a substantial property at Lisheen, in the parish of Kilmacduagh, to Patrick Carrick, in 1855. He is also recorded as the proprietor of townlands in the parish of Beagh in the 1830s. Matthew Rosengrave, acting on behalf of Redmond Burke of Annagh, Gort, owned over 200 acres at Carrigoran, parish of Kilnasoolagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare in the 1870s. Jeremiah Rosingrave bought part of the county Clare estate of Edward Clive, Earl of Powis in 1842. Fee farm rents in the barony of Bunratty Lower were advertised for sale in July 1873. The Irish Times reported that one of these lots was purchased by Sir Augustine Fitzgerald.
Ball (Fort Fergus) William Hawkins Ball was the eldest son of Benjamin Ball of Dublin and his wife Elizabeth, daughter of the Reverend James Hawkins, Bishop of Raphoe. He was born in 1797 and in 1845 married Juliana Salana, fifth daughter of Standish O’Grady, 1st Viscount Guillamore. He died at Ranelagh, Dublin in 1864. Most of the Ball estate was in the parish of Kilchreest, barony of Clonderalaw, county Clare but they also held a townland in the parish of Kilmihil. In the 1870s the representatives of Major W. H. Ball owned over 3,000 acres in county Clare and 78 acres in county Kilkenny. William and Julia Ball do not appear to have had any children and Weir writes that the heir presumptive was William’s nephew, Richard Hawkins Beauchamp. When Richard Hawkins Beauchamp, a resident of Dublin, died in 1904 he left £423,926 in his will. Walfords records a William Hawkins Ball of Fort Fergus and Ballinacally in 1910. By 1909 he had agreed the sale of his county Clare estate of 2,705 acres with the Congested Districts' Board. He wished to repurchase 305 acres. This William was born in 1874, the son of Captain William St. James Ball.
Caswell The Caswell family were farmers and millers in the Blackwater locality, parish of St Patricks, county Clare, just north of Limerick city. Memorials in the Registry of Deeds record Andrew Caswell leasing part of his holding in Derramore Mill, which he held from Thomas McAdam, to his eldest son Samuel Caswell in 1801. In 1837 Lewis refers to the two large flour mills owned by S. Caswell at Blackwater. In the mid 19th century Samuel and Andrew Caswell both held townlands in the parish of St Patricks, barony of Bunratty Lower, while Mary Caswell held land in the parish of Killaloe, barony of Tulla Lower. Samuel Caswell's house, offices, miller's house and flour mill at Rosmadda West were valued at £85 in Griffith's Valuation. He had purchased Rosmadda and other lands from the sale of the Clive estate in 1842. In the 1870s Mary Caswell of Blackwater owned 935 acres according to the return of landowners of one acre or more while Hussey gives her acreage as 2,995 acres. In 1877 Mary Eliza Caswell married as his second wife Richard M.S. Maunsell of Oakly Park, county Kildare and their son sold the Caswell estate to the Congested Districts' Board in the 1910s. A detailed account of the Caswell family can be consulted at www.moonraker.com/genealogy/caswell/relatives.doc
Spring-Rice Smith indicates that the Spring family were originally from Lavenham in Suffolk and settled in Kerry during the reign of Elizabeth I. In the late 18th century Stephen Rice was agent to the Clive estates in county Kerry. In the early 19th century he bought the former Trenchard estate in the barony of Shanid. In 1785 his son, Stephen Edward Rice of Mount Trenchard, county Limerick, married Catherine, only child and heir of Thomas Spring of Castlemaine, county Kerry. Their son, Thomas Spring Rice, was created 1st Lord Monteagle in 1839. He married a daughter of the 1st Earl of Limerick. The Monteagle estate was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Kiltallagh, barony of Trughanacmy, county Kerry at the time of Griffith's Valuation (formerly the Spring estate). Lord Monteagle's Limerick estate was concentrated in the barony of Shanid where he held land in the parishes of Kilmoylan, Robertstown and Shanagolden and also in the parishes of Clonagh, Connelloe Lower and Caherconlish and Carrigparson, barony of Clanwilliam. In the 1830s Lewis writes that the town and surrounding lands of Shanagolden were principally the property of the Right Honourable Thomas Spring Rice, Chancellor of the Exchequer. In the 1840s his agent was Stephen Edward Collis of Listowel, county Kerry. Some of his main tenants at the time of Griffith's Valuation were Faithy Ebzery, Patrick Griffin, Arthur Vincent and Reverend Richard C. Langford. Stephen Edward Collis, Octavius Knox and Robert William Jameson were agents to the Spring Rices in the 19th century. Lord Monteagle's estate in county Limerick amounted to 6,445 acres and his county Kerry estate to over 2000 acres in the 1870s.
Monsell (Limerick) Originally from England, this family sold their estates in Somerset and purchased estates in county Limerick. They were living at Tervoe by the mid 17th century. By the late 18th century they held Tervoe and other lands from the Wilsons of Cahirconlish on a lease renewable for ever. In 1751 William Monsell of Tervoe married Dymphna Pery, aunt of the 1st Earl of Limerick, and they were the grandparents of William Monsell, Baron Emly, Member of Parliament for county Limerick 1847-1873, Under Secretary of State for the Colonies 1868-1870 and Postmaster-Gereral, 1870-1873. Correspondence relating to his political career can be found in the National Library of Ireland and in the National Archives. At the time of Griffith’s Valuation Lord Emly held land in county Clare in the parishes of Killeely, barony of Bunratty Lower and Quin, barony of Bunratty Upper and in county Limerick in the parishes of Ballycahane, Kilkeedy and Monasteranenagh, barony of Pubblebrien, Corcomohide, barony of Connello Upper and Anhid, barony of Coshma. Lands at Kilbreedy, the property of William Monsell, were sold in the Encumbered Estates Court in June 1856. Mr. Coppinger was the purchaser. In the 1870s his county Clare estate was comprised of 464 acres and his county Limerick estate of 2,246 acres. He was also the proprietor of 700 acres in county Kerry. The 1761 rental of the estate of Robert Clive lists William Monsell as tenant of "Plassey otherwise Ballykilty".
Clive (Co Clare) Robert Clive, known as "Clive of India", bought an estate in county Clare from the Dublin banker Henry Mitchell circa 1760. Mitchell had bought the two portions of his estate from General John Thomas Fowke and the trustees of Henry O'Brien, Earl of Thomond about twenty years earlier. The estate was comprised of dispersed pockets of land mainly located to the west and north of what is now Shannon Airport. Clive purchased the head rent of these lands which were leased to such families as the Spaights, Hickmans, Lewins, Creaghs, Wolfes, MacDonnells. His agent was Caleb Powell. Logan estimates the estate to have been over 12,000 acres. Robert Clive was created Baron Clive of Plassey [Ballykilty], county Clare, in 1762. The 1761 rental of the estate of Robert Clive lists William Monsell as tenant of "Plassey otherwise Ballykilty". Clive died in 1774 and was succeeded by his son Edward who married the sister and heir of George E.H.A. Herbert, Earl of Powis, who held the head rent of an estate at Castleisland, county Kerry. In 1804 Edward was created Earl of Powis. In 1790 Edward Clive visited counties Kerry, Limerick and Clare. Following this visit Stephen Rice was appointed agent to the estates in Edward Clive's control in counties Kerry and Clare. Before his death in 1839 Edward Clive had specified that his Irish estates were to be sold to pay off any debts due from the consolidation of the Clive and Herbert estates. His son Edward had inherited the Herbert estates of his uncle. The county Clare estate of the Clives was sold in 1842 and Logan lists the names of the tenants in 1761, 1841 and the purchasers. The purchasers included names such as Gabbett (Ballykilty), Caswell (Rosmadda), McMahon, Hickman (Carrigoran), Roseingrave, Brady and Ball (Fortfergus).
Brady (Limerick & Myshall) Hugh Brady of Kilcooney, Clonrush, county Galway and of Limerick was the eldest son of Henry Brady and Mary Molony and a brother of William Brady of Williamstadt. He married Elizabeth Beauchamp. Gerard Madden writes that their son Henry Brady of Limerick was an extensive brewer and miller. In 1810 Henry Brady's daughter Jane married John Falkner Cornwall of Myshall Lodge, county Carlow. She died the following year without having any children and Madden writes that her brother John Beauchamp Brady inherited Myshall Lodge. In 1842 John Beauchamp Brady purchased part of the Clive estate in county Clare. At the time of Griffith's Valuation he is recorded as holding land in the parishes of Feakle, Tulla Upper and Kilchreest and Killadysert, Clonderalaw. His eldest son John Cornwall Brady owned 1,598 acres in county Clare, 1,198 acres in county Carlow and 207 acres in Queen's county [county Laois] in the 1870s.
Powell (Clonshavoy) The Powells were established in county Limerick by the end of the 17th century. In 1703 Richard Powell bought some of the confiscated estate of James II in the barony of Clanwilliam. In 1717 Robert Powell of Newgarden married Anne Eyre of Galway. In May 1773 their eldest son Richard conveyed Prospect (Lisnagry) to a widow, Mary Connor. The fee simple of Prospect was advertised for sale in November 1859. Robert and Anne's fifth son Caleb Powell (1730-1797) settled at Clonshavoy. Caleb Powell served in the Army in India under Colonel Robert Clive and was agent to the Clive estate in county Clare post 1760. At the time of Griffith's Valuation his grandson Caleb Powell held land in the parishes of Feenagh, barony of Bunratty Lower, county Clare and Abington, barony of Owneybeg, county Limerick. In the 1870s Caleb Powell of Clonshavoy, Barrington's Bridge, Limerick owned 352 acres in county Clare and 234 acres in county Limerick. Property in the barony of Owenybeg, county Limerick and in Limerick City, owned by Caleb and Eyre Burton Powell was sold in the Land Judges' Court in January 1888. The purchasers were Daniel and John Ryan and John Powell in trust.