Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Keane (Cappoquin)

According to family sources, the Keanes have held this property since the seventeenth century when George O'Cahan, a lawyer, leased the property from the Earl of Cork's estate. Sadleir notes "Sir John Keane of Bellmount" who was an MP in the Irish parliament from 1791-1800 and at Westminster until 1718. Sir Richard Keane was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Lismore and Mocollop and Affane, county Waterford in 1851. In 1855 over 11,000 acres of the Keane estate in counties Waterford and Tipperary were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The estate amounted to over 8000 acres in the 1870s. . See www.cappoquinhouseandgardens.com.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cappoquin House Cappoquin Demesne Lismore & Mocollop Lismore Cappoquin 60 Coshmore & Coshbride Waterford OSI Ref: X102997
OS Sheet: 21
Discovery map: 81
Glenshelane Cottage Lyre East Lismore & Mocollop Lismore Cappoquin 60 Coshmore & Coshbride Waterford OSI Ref: S114011
OS Sheet: 21
Discovery map: 74

Archival sources

  • Letters and papers of the Keane family of Cappoquin, Co. Waterford, 1733-1912. Keane Papers, n.3912, p.3583 ; National Library of Ireland
  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Keane, 13 November 1855, Vol 36, MRGS 39/017, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Irish Tourist Association Survey Files, Barony of Coshmore & Coshbride. ; Waterford County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources