Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Keane (Cappoquin)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Keane (Cappoquin) According to family sources, the Keanes have held this property since the seventeenth century when George O'Cahan, a lawyer, leased the property from the Earl of Cork's estate. Sadleir notes "Sir John Keane of Bellmount" who was an MP in the Irish parliament from 1791-1800 and at Westminster until 1718. Sir Richard Keane was among the principal lessors in the parishes of Lismore and Mocollop and Affane, county Waterford in 1851. In 1855 over 11,000 acres of the Keane estate in counties Waterford and Tipperary were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. The estate amounted to over 8000 acres in the 1870s. . See www.cappoquinhouseandgardens.com.