Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Watts


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fawcett (Ballykinlettragh) The Fawcetts were resident on the townlands of Ballykinlettragh, parish of Kilfian, and Ballinglen, parish of Doonfeeny, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, at the time of the first Ordnance Survey c 1838. Lewis records Mount Glynne, the residence of J. Faussett, and Gross Lodge of R. Faussett. John and Richard Fausett MD were brothers and they had sisters: Jane who married Reverend Francis Little, Anne who married Andrew Watts and Mary who married Robert Mostyn. John Fawcett was agent to his sister, Mrs Watts, who was leasing Glencolry Lower from the Knoxes of Castlereagh. John Fausett married Matilda, widow of John Knox of Stoneville, Crossmolina. They were also connected to the Bournes family of Rossport.
Knox (Mount Falcon) An estate in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, previously belonging to the Watts and amounting to 2065 acres in 1876. This family of Knoxes also owned 5434 acres in county Sligo. The Knox family estate in the parish of Achonry was derived from a grant of land to Jeremy Jones at the Restoration. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Reverend George Knox and Frederick Knox were lessors of townlands in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. In the 1870s they owned over 800 acres in county Sligo. At the same time Utred Knox of Mountfalcon, Ballina, owned over 3500 acres in county Sligo. By March 1916 Utred A. Knox had accepted a final offer from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his estate. This included over 1600 acres acquired by the Board in county Sligo, principally in the barony of Leyny. In 1916 Hercules and Reginald Knox accepted offers from the Board on 1900 and 900 acres respectively. .
Watts Quinn writes that a Cromwellian soldier named Watts was granted the estate known as Mount Falcon, in the parish of Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo and that his descendants were eventually bought out by the Knoxes. This was Captain Edward Watts who was granted over 2,000 acres in the barony of Tirawley in 1668. The Ordnance Survey Name Books record that a Mrs Ann Watts, (widow of Andrew), leased part of the townland of Glencalry Lower, parish of Doonfeeny and that John Fawcett was her agent. John Fawcett/Fausett was also her brother. Lewis records Mrs Watts of Glynne Castle, parish of Dunfeeny. Her two daughters, Maria and Frances, married Samuel and Henry Bournes of Rossport.