Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Jones (Streedagh)

The Jones family were granted lands previously in the possession of O'Connor Sligo. It is thought the founder of the family was Sir Roger Jones. His grandson, Thomas, built Streedagh House c.1724. This branch of the Jones family also held land in county Leitrim, as the representatives of Michael Jones are listed as the owners of 1928 acres in 1876. Ormsby Jones of Mount Edward is listed as a Magistrate for county Sligo in 1889. In 1906 Richard Jones is recorded as the owner of over 250 acres of untenanted land at Streedagh townland, barony of Carbury, including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board subsequently acquired over 600 acres of this estate.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Streedagh Streedagh Ahamlish Sligo Lissadill North 38 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G634498
OS Sheet: 5
Discovery map: 16
Mount Edward Cottage Drangan or Mount Edward Ahamlish Sligo Lissadill North Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G629476
OS Sheet: 5
Discovery map: 16

Archival sources

  • Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes will of Ormsby Jones of Streedagh, 1888. Small Accs. Index 98, T.6186; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources