Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Jones (Streedagh)

Description

Streedagh


Estate(s)

Name Description
Jones (Streedagh) The Jones family were granted lands previously in the possession of O'Connor Sligo. It is thought the founder of the family was Sir Roger Jones. His grandson, Thomas, built Streedagh House c.1724. This branch of the Jones family also held land in county Leitrim, as the representatives of Michael Jones are listed as the owners of 1928 acres in 1876. Ormsby Jones of Mount Edward is listed as a Magistrate for county Sligo in 1889. In 1906 Richard Jones is recorded as the owner of over 250 acres of untenanted land at Streedagh townland, barony of Carbury, including a mansion house. The Congested Districts Board subsequently acquired over 600 acres of this estate.