This branch of the Taaffe family appear to be linked to that of the Earls of Carlingford. Portions of the Sligo estate were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. In 1866 and 1867 John Taaffe offered for sale his estate at Gleneask and lands at Drumraine, in the barony of Corran, in the Landed Estates Court. In 1880 John West Pollock offered over 500 acres of the Taaffe estate in the barony of Corran for sale in the Land Judges' Court. The lands were held under a lease dated 1678 with covenant to renew for the lives of Christopher Taaffe or his heirs. The Gleneask estate derived from an 1808 lease between Henry King and John Taaffe while the Drumraine lease dated from the same period from the Parke estate. The Taaffe family are also recorded as the owners of 833 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. The family also held extensive properties in Counties Louth and Meath. The Congested Districts Board acquired over 5000 acres of the Taaffe estate in the early twentieth century.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
OSI Ref: G613159
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 25
|Gleneask Lodge & Cottage||Tullaghaglas||Kilmacteige||Tobercurry||Breencorragh 68||Leyny||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G404170
OS Sheet: 30
Discovery map: 24
- Taaffe family correspondence & papers, 17th-18th century. OSB MSS 5. ; Yale University: Beineicke Library
- Carlingford papers, 17th-18th century. D10/F16, 17. ; Dorset History Centre
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Taaffe, 14 December 1852, Vol 19, MRGS 39/009 (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
- Rent Roll of the Earl of Carlingford, 1754. MacDonagh MSS, VIII, S.R. ; Sligo County Library
- Pedigree of Taaffe family of counties Louth, Mayo & Sligo, 1284-1835. GO MSS 171 & 172. ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Taaffe of Ballymote & of county Louth. GO MSS 171. ; National Library of Ireland
- Pedigree of Taaffe family of counties Louth, Mayo, Sligo & of France, 1441-1772. GO MSS 165.; National Library of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Taaffe, 27 April 1866, Vol 81, MRGS 39/039, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Taaffe, 15 Janaury 1867, Vol 84, MRGS 39/041, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Judges’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Pollock/Taaffe, 12 November 1880, Vol 140, MRGS 39/062, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 323
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Tobercurry Union 10 (Drumraine), 92 (Gleneask)
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol I, 234 and Vol II, 182
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 167
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 437
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 299 (Galway estate)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 277
Modern printed sources
- ROCHFORD, Patrick. ''Close to the foothills: a journey in prose and poetry through the Ox Mountains''. Sligo: [the author], 1991: 1
- ''Corran Herald'': HANNAN, Michael. Taaffes, Viscounts Corran and Barons of Ballymote, remembered. XXXV (2002-2003), 14-19.
- ''Corran Herald'': DUFFY, P.J. The Congested Districts Board (including list of lands acquired in county Sligo under the Wyndham Act). XXXIV (2001-2002), 6-7.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 326-327 (Drumraine), 344-345 (Gleneask Cottage)
- TIMONEY, Martin A (ed). ''Dedicated to Sligo: thirty-four essays on Sligo's past''. Sligo: Publishing Sligo's past, 2013. : Fleming, David A." Estate, kin and loyalty: the Taaffe family and their property in eighteenth century Sligo". pp.171-182.