The Popham family held lands in counties Roscommon & Sligo. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Alexander Popham was leasing property in the parish of Boyle to Andrew Irwin. By the 1870s the Pophams appear to have been residing in England at Littlecote, Hungerford when Mrs. Popham is recorded as the owner of over 800 acres in county Sligo. By 1916 negotiations were progressing for the purchase of the county Roscommon estate of the Pophams amounting to 1,845 acres by the Congested Districts' Board. 376 acres in county Sligo were acquired by the Board.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Kevinsfort||Ballydoogan||St. John's||Sligo||Kilmacowen 59||Carbury||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G674359
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 16
|Ballymore||Ballymore East or Corbally||Boyle||Boyle||Rushfield 37||Boyle||Roscommon||
OSI Ref: M787990
OS Sheet: 9, 10
Discovery map: 33
- Rental of estate of Alex. H. Popham, 1849-57. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Correspondence, accounts & valuation lists relating to Popham estate, 1896-1911. F.C./D.5/133. ; Sligo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 371
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 318 (Roscommon) & Sligo (323)
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 51.
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Boyle Union, 53.
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''24th Annual Report of the Congested Districts' Board for Ireland'', [Cd 8356], HC 1916, vi, 564-586. Appendix VIII: 59
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : 136 (Kevinsfort or Ballydoogan)
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of names of proprietors and area and valuation of properties in counties in Ireland, held in fee or perpetuity or long leases at chief rents,'' 1876. (412) LXXX. 395: 168.
Modern printed sources
- ''Corran Herald'': DUFFY, P.J. The Congested Districts Board [including list of lands acquired in county Sligo under the Wyndham Act]. XXXIV (2001-2002), 6-7.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 363-364 (Kevinsfort)