The Neynoe family owned this estate in Ballysumaghan parish since the 18th century. They appear to have held it from the Bishop of Elphin and the Ecclesiastical Commissioners as indicated by a lease in the name of the latter and Edward Loftus Neynoe in 1838. The house and major portions of the estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in 1853. Some of the purchasers included Alexander Sims and Mr. Kincaid. The house and adjacent property was again offered for sale in March 1858, by Richard Bolton Neynoe who appears to have purchased it back in 1853. Henry Griffiths was renting the house and at least 180 acres during this time. By the end of the 19th century it had passed into the hands of the Stack family. The property at Old Castle appears to have been occupied by Capt. Thomas Mitchell in 1814.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Castle Neynoe/Ballysumaghan House||Ballysumaghan||Ballysumaghan||Sligo||Ballynakill 49||Tirerrill||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G746255
OS Sheet: 27
Discovery map: 25
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Neynoe, 9 June 1853, Vol 21, MRGS 39/010 (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
- Photographs. 149/036; Irish Architectural Archive
- Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Neynoe, 11 March 1858, Vol 50 MRGS 39/024, (microfilm copy in NUIG; National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol I 167, Vol II 142
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol I 156-157, Vol II 28
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 100, 313
Modern printed sources
- GLIN, Knight of, GRIFFIN, D. J. & ROBINSON, N.K (eds).'' Vanishing Country Houses of Ireland''. Dublin: Irish Architectural Archive/Irish Georgian Society, 1989. : 131.
- JOHNSTON, Jack (ed). ''The Riverstown story:county Sligo'' . Riverstown, county Sligo: Riverstown Enterprise Development, 2005. : 38.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 48-50.
- ''Freeman's Journal'': Incumbered Estates Court sale reports, 10 June 1853, p.4.