Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Fenton (Dromore)

Various branches of the Fenton family held estates in the Barony of Tireragh, County Sligo. This branch was centered on the house at Dromore in the village now known as Dromore West. Information in the OS Name Books suggests the house was built c.1786 and purchased by Capt Fenton from Mr. Jones of Fortland, Easky. In June 1864 Thomas Fenton together with John Nesbitt Malleson offered for sale the mansion house and lands at Dromore in the Landed Estates Court. The property was sold to Dr. Alexander Henry for over £3600. In June 1865 James Fenton offered for sale lands at Clooneen, barony of Tireragh. These lands were bought by a Mr. McNamara for over £1500. The Fenton estate was acquired by William Lougheed in the later 19th century.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Dromore Dromore Kilmacshalgan Dromore West Dromore 18 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G418337
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Wills, deeds, decrees & other legal documents of Fenton family. Hillas Family Papers Collection. ; Sligo County Library
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Fenton and Malleson, 17 June 1864, Vol 73, MRGS 39/036, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Fenton, 30 June 1865, Vol 77, MRGS 39/038, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources