Various branches of the Fenton family held estates in the Barony of Tireragh, County Sligo. This branch was centered on the house at Dromore in the village now known as Dromore West. Information in the OS Name Books suggests the house was built c.1786 and purchased by Capt Fenton from Mr. Jones of Fortland, Easky. In June 1864 Thomas Fenton together with John Nesbitt Malleson offered for sale the mansion house and lands at Dromore in the Landed Estates Court. The property was sold to Dr. Alexander Henry for over £3600. In June 1865 James Fenton offered for sale lands at Clooneen, barony of Tireragh. These lands were bought by a Mr. McNamara for over £1500. The Fenton estate was acquired by William Lougheed in the later 19th century.
- Wills, deeds, decrees & other legal documents of Fenton family. Hillas Family Papers Collection. ; Sligo County Library
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Fenton and Malleson, 17 June 1864, Vol 73, MRGS 39/036, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
- Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Fenton, 30 June 1865, Vol 77, MRGS 39/038, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
Contemporary printed sources
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Dromore West Union 53
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol II 129-130, 167
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 169
Modern printed sources
- McTERNAN, John. ''Old Sligoe: aspects of town and county over 750 years''. Manorhamilton: Drumlin Publications, 1995. : 317-320
- McTERNAN, John. ''A Sligo miscellany: a chronicle of people, places and events of other days''. Sligo: Avena publications, 2000. : 388-393.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 321-322 (Dromore)
- McTERNAN, John C. ''The light of bygone days, Volume II: Sligo families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 92-98
- ''Irish Times'': Landed Estates Court Sales, 18 June 1864, p.4, 1 July 1865, p.4.