Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Lougheed


Estate(s)

Name Description
Fenton (Dromore) Various branches of the Fenton family held estates in the Barony of Tireragh, County Sligo. This branch was centered on the house at Dromore in the village now known as Dromore West. Information in the OS Name Books suggests the house was built c.1786 and purchased by Capt Fenton from Mr. Jones of Fortland, Easky. In June 1864 Thomas Fenton together with John Nesbitt Malleson offered for sale the mansion house and lands at Dromore in the Landed Estates Court. The property was sold to Dr. Alexander Henry for over £3600. In June 1865 James Fenton offered for sale lands at Clooneen, barony of Tireragh. These lands were bought by a Mr. McNamara for over £1500. The Fenton estate was acquired by William Lougheed in the later 19th century.
Lougheed William Black Lougheed purchased the Fenton estate at Dromore West in the later 19th century. He is also recorded as the owner of land in county Leitrim in the 1870s. A William Browne Lougheed is listed as the occupier of property in Dromore townland, barony of Tireragh, in 1906, including the mansion house. The family also held property in the barony of Tirerrill and leased Rockbrook from the Martin estate.