Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gillmor/Gilmore

McTernan traces the Gillmor family's arrival in Sligo toJames Gillmor,a member of the Cromwellian army who was granted confiscated lands between 165-1660. Property at Ballyglass and Lisgowry, barony of Carbury, part of the estate of the Rev. William Gillmor, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Samuel Gilmore was leasing property in the parish of Toomour, barony of Corran, from the Creighton estate. Rev. William Gillmor owned 39 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. An offer was accepted by A.W. Gillmour on over 900 acres of the estate from the Congested Districts Board in 1915.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Mount Dodwell Ballinvoher Toomour Sligo Bricklieve 32 Corran Sligo OSI Ref: G705151
OS Sheet: 33
Discovery map:
Ballyglass House Ballyglass Calry Sligo Calry 54 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G723370
OS Sheet: 15
Discovery map: 16

Archival sources

  • Rentals of the Gillmor estate, 1885-1900. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Gillmor, 14 November 1854, Vol 31, MRGS 39/014, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources