Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Gillmor

Description

also Gowan-Gillmor


Estate(s)

Name Description
Gillmor/Gilmore McTernan traces the Gillmor family's arrival in Sligo toJames Gillmor,a member of the Cromwellian army who was granted confiscated lands between 165-1660. Property at Ballyglass and Lisgowry, barony of Carbury, part of the estate of the Rev. William Gillmor, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates court in November 1854. At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Samuel Gilmore was leasing property in the parish of Toomour, barony of Corran, from the Creighton estate. Rev. William Gillmor owned 39 acres in county Sligo in the 1870s. An offer was accepted by A.W. Gillmour on over 900 acres of the estate from the Congested Districts Board in 1915.