Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Irwin (Tanrego)

McTernan states that John Irwin, a Cromwellian soldier, wsa granted the lands at Tanrego in the seventeenth century. The Irwin family also had property in the parish of Achonry, barony of Leyny. Turlough O'Carolan was a frequent visitor to Tanrego and composed a number of tunes in honour of the family including "Colonel John Irwin". In 1855 John Lewis Irwin offered for sale lands in the baronies of Tireragh, Leyny and Carbury, including Tanragoe. The estate was acquired by the Olpherts and later the Verschoyle families. The house was occupied in the 1850s by Capt. Richard Olpherts. The house and lands at Barnabrack were also part of the Irwin estate.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Tanrego Tanrego East or Carrowmore Dromard Dromore West Dromard East 24 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G601313
OS Sheet: 19
Discovery map: 25
Beltra Rectory Barnabrack Dromard Dromore West Dromard East Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G596299
OS Sheet:
Discovery map: 25

Archival sources

  • Agreement between Thomas Lovelace and John Irving re property in Tireragh, 1675. D.8779. ; National Library of Ireland
  • Tanrego photographs. 016/022. ; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Irwin, 26 January 1855, Vol 33, MRGS 39/015, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • J.C. McDonagh (1939), Deeds, rentals, correspondence & accounts re the Crofton, Irwin, Dodwell & Gethin families & property in Cos Sligo & Roscommon, 1615-1828. Small Accs. Index 71, D.11482-11564; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources