Hewitson [Hewetson] & Eden
Amelia Sarah Hewitson or Hewetson, with an address at Merton, Enniscorthy, county Wexford, owned over 1500 acres in county Sligo in 1876. Merton was a property formerly owned by Thomas Whitney. Hussey de Burgh states that Mrs. Hewitson and Mrs Alice Eden, who also resided in Wexford, were sisters. Burke shows that they were Thomas Whitney's daughters. They owned over 3000 acres in county Sligo as well as substantial lands in Cavan, Meath and Wexford. In 1906 H.A. Hewitson owned over 500 acres of untenanted land in the barony of Tirerrill.
|Name||Townland||Civil Parish||PLU||DED||Barony||County||Map Ref|
|Annagh Lodge||Aughnacloy||Kilmactranny||Boyle||Ballynashee 1||Tirerrill||Sligo||
OSI Ref: G848156
OS Sheet: 35
Discovery map: 25
- Rental of Hewitson/Hewetson estate, 1879-1882, 1883-1895, 1900-06. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 321
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 389.
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : ----