Landed Estates
NUI Galway

McCarrick/McCarrig

At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the McCarrick family held townlands in the parishes of Kilconduff and Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, previously parts of the estates of George Ruttledge of Togher and of Reverend William Jackson. Roger "McCarrig" is listed as a purchaser of part of the Ruttledge estate on the sale rental of 24 June 1851. The McCarricks also purchased land in county Sligo. By the mid 1870s Roger McCarrick of Kilglass House, Enniscrone, county Sligo, owned 3453 acres in county Mayo and 868 in county Sligo while John McCarrick of Cloonbarry, county Sligo owned 567 acres in county Mayo and 443 in county Sligo. In 1906 Henry McCarrick was recorded as the occupier of property at both Kilglass, barony of Tireragh and Cloonbarry, Barony of Leyny, both including a mansion house. The Misses McCarrick sold 602 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 July 1906, while H. and B. McCarrick sold 3,252 acres to the Board on 4 Mar 1915.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cloonbarry Cloonbarry Kilmacteige Tubbercurry Kilmacteige 69 Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G417118
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 24
Kilglass Kilglass Kilglass Dromore West Kilglass Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G311321
OS Sheet: 16
Discovery map: 24
Carns (Kilmacteige) Carns Kilmacteige Tobercurry Aclare 66 Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G417099
OS Sheet: 37
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Ruttledge, 24 June 1851, Vols 8(32), MRGS 39/003, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources