A family descended from a Cromwellian soldier who bought and was granted extensive estates in the barony of Tirawley, Co Mayo. Branches of the family lived at Enniscoe, Carrowmore and Fortland in the barony.
|McCarrick/McCarrig||At the time of Griffith's Valuation various members of the McCarrick family held townlands in the parishes of Kilconduff and Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo, previously parts of the estates of George Ruttledge of Togher and of Reverend William Jackson. Roger "McCarrig" is listed as a purchaser of part of the Ruttledge estate on the sale rental of 24 June 1851. The McCarricks also purchased land in county Sligo. By the mid 1870s Roger McCarrick of Kilglass House, Enniscrone, county Sligo, owned 3453 acres in county Mayo and 868 in county Sligo while John McCarrick of Cloonbarry, county Sligo owned 567 acres in county Mayo and 443 in county Sligo. In 1906 Henry McCarrick was recorded as the occupier of property at both Kilglass, barony of Tireragh and Cloonbarry, Barony of Leyny, both including a mansion house. The Misses McCarrick sold 602 acres to the Congested Districts' Board on 28 July 1906, while H. and B. McCarrick sold 3,252 acres to the Board on 4 Mar 1915.|
|Jackson (Enniscoe)||Francis Jackson, a Cromwellian soldier, bought extensive lands in the barony of Tirawley, county Mayo and was granted lands in the parishes of Addergoole, Crossmolina, Moygawnagh and Rathreagh under the Restoration settlements. By the early 18th century the Jacksons were established at Enniscoe. In the 1830s the Jackson estate at Enniscoe passed to the Pratt family through marriage with a Jackson heiress.|
|Jackson (Carrowmore)||The Carrowmore estate of the Vaughans passed by marriage to a junior branch of the Jacksons of Enniscoe. In 1853 an estate of over 6000 acres in the parish of Killasser, barony of Gallen, county Mayo was sold in the Encumbered Estates' Court by the head of the family the Reverend William Jackson, Dean of Killala. In June 1854 the Reverend Jackson sold premises in the town of Tuam and Grove Park in the barony of Gallen. In 1876 Oliver Vaughan Jackson of Carrowmore owned 3134 acres while his brother Rev William Jackson of Enniscrone had 1643 acres in Co Mayo.|
|Jackson (Fortland)||At the time of Griffith's Valuation a junior branch of the Jacksons of Enniscoe had an estate in the parish of Meelick in the barony of Gallen, Co Mayo and held Fortland, parish of Kilfian, barony of Tirawley from the Pratts. In 1876 George Humphrey Jackson of Fortland owned 2695 acres in Co Mayo.|
|Vaughan||Of Welsh descent, the Vaughan family had an estate in the parishes of Kilbelfad and Ballynahaglish, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo, granted to them under the Restoration land settlements, amounting to about 2,400 acres. In the early 19th century their estate passed by marriage to the Jacksons of Enniscoe.|
|Pratt||The Jackson estate at Enniscoe, parish of Crossmolina, barony of Tirawley, county Mayo became the property of the Pratts of Cabra Castle, county Cavan, following the marriage in 1834 of the daugher and heiress of Colonel William Jackson with Mervyn Pratt. In 1876 Mervyn Pratt owned 17,955 acres in county Mayo, 8095 acres in county Cavan and 1014 acres in county Meath. In 1916 the Congested Districts' Board made a final offer of just under £50,000 for the Pratt's county Mayo estate. Enniscoe was inherited by the Nicholson family in the 20th century and the nucleus of the property has remained in the ownership of descendants of the Jacksons for over 300 years. http://www.enniscoe.com/|
|Baxter||In 1853 Edward Baxter of Dundee, Scotland, a brother of Sir David Baxter of Baxter Brothers, bought part of the estate of the Knoxes of Castlereagh, county Mayo, in the parishes of Meelick, Kilconduff and Killedan in the barony of Gallen. He also bought Carrowbeg, parish of Killasser in the same barony from the sale of the Jackson estate also in 1853. The Baxter estate of almost 2000 acres in the barony of Gallen was sold in 1874 and 1875. Quinn gives details of the purchasers.|