The Armstrong family are recorded as holding a modest estate in the parish of Kilglass in 18th century. There is a large burial plot in Kilglass graveyard inscribed "Armstrong 1661-1906" from which we can infer that the family were resident in the area since the mid-17th century. In 1906 Robert W. Armstrong is recorded as the occupier of property at Oghil, including a mansion house. The Armstrong estate was divided by the Congested Districts Board following its purchase in 1916.
- Robinson Collection, rentals Armstrong Estate; Sligo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of owners of land of one acre and upwards, in the several counties .... in Ireland''. HC 1876, LXXX: 318
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Dromore West Union 30
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol I 449
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''Return of Untenanted Lands in Rural Districts, Distinguishing Demesnes on Which There is a Mansion...'', HC 1906, c, 177: 391.