Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Armstrong (Oghil)


Estate(s)

Name Description
Armstrong (Oghil) The Armstrong family are recorded as holding a modest estate in the parish of Kilglass in 18th century. There is a large burial plot in Kilglass graveyard inscribed "Armstrong 1661-1906" from which we can infer that the family were resident in the area since the mid-17th century. In 1906 Robert W. Armstrong is recorded as the occupier of property at Oghil, including a mansion house. The Armstrong estate was divided by the Congested Districts Board following its purchase in 1916.