Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Barrett (Culleenamore)

The Barrett family were descended from prosperous Sligo merchants in the later 17th and early 18th centuries. They leased land from the Nicholson family of Primrose Grange in the later 18th century. They later purchased land in the area from the Gethin family. The estate was centred on Culleenamore House. In the 1870s Samuel Barrett was recorded as the owner of over 700 acres in county Sligo. Some of the estate was sold in 1909 and the remainder including the house, in the 1950s. The original house was demolished and a modern house built on the site.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Culleenamore Culleenamore Killaspugbrone Sligo Knockaree 60 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G610345
OS Sheet: 13
Discovery map: 25
Rockville (Carbury) Culleenamore Killaspugbrone Sligo Knocknarea 60 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G615340
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25
Rathanna Cornageeha St. John Sligo Sligo Urban 61 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G692338
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25

Archival sources

  • Documents relating to Barrett and Nuttall estate F.C/D.4/20, F.C./D.3/3 ; Sligo County Library
  • Rentals of Barrett estate, 1888-90. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
  • Map of lands at Culleenamore, let by Wm. Barrett to Letitia Begley, 1817. S.R. ; Sligo County Library

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources