Landed Estates
NUI Galway

MacDermot (Coolavin)

The MacDermots were the original hereditary owners of the lands in Coolavin, hence the family title MacDermot of Coolavin. In the 17th century they lost much of their lands but always maintained a presence in the area. In the early 19th century they held a house and demesne at Coolavin. McParlan recorded "Doctor McDermott, son and heir of the late Prince of Coolavin, ........resides in the family mansion". At the time of Griffith's Valuation, Charles McDermott was the lessor of most of the townland of Monasteraden, barony of Coolavin and was also leasing lands in the barony of Tirerill. Portion of this property, including the house and demesne at Coolavin, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in 1852. Lands in the barony of Tirerrill were offered for sale in March 1860. In the 1870s Charles J. McDermott owned almost 800 acres in county Sligo while Roderick and Thomas McDermott owned another 800.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Coolavin Clogher Kilcolman Boyle Coolavin 8 Coolavin Sligo OSI Ref: M665983
OS Sheet: 46
Discovery map: 32

Archival sources

  • Encumbered Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), McDermott, 5 November 1852, Vol 18, MRGS 39/008 (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
  • Coolavin photographs & press cuttings, 030/059.; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), McDermott, 13 March 1860, Vol 58 MRGS 39/029, (microfilm copy in NUIG; National Archives of Ireland
  • MacDermot of Coolavin papers. c.1595-1790. [Microfilm copy of some of these papers P.7079]; National Library of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources