Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Meredith

The Merediths acquired Cloonamahon and associated lands in the 18th century when a Meredith married one of the daughters and heiresses of Thomas Rutledge who had purchased the Cloonamahon estate which had been confiscated from the O'Harts. Thomas Rutledge's only son had been killed in a fall from a horse and is buried in Collooney graveyard. In June 1854 Thomas J. Meredith offered for sale lands in the baronies of Tirerrill, Leyny and Carbury, county Sligo in the Encumbered Estates court. The sale notice includes a description of Coney Island, in Sligo Bay. The estate later passed into the possession of the Tweedy family. Dr. Henry Tweedy is recorded as the occupier of property at Cloonamahon, including a mansion house, in 1906. Meredith lands in the barony of Carbery were sold in the Landed Estates Court in January 1877. The Irish Times recorded the purchasers as William Phibbs, W.K. Barrett and Edward Walsh. The sum raised was over £7500.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cloonamahon Cloonamahon Ballysadare Sligo Lisconny 52 Tirerrill Sligo OSI Ref: G685229
OS Sheet: 26
Discovery map: 25
Strandhill House Larass or Strandhill Killaspugbrone Sligo Knocknarea Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G622366
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25

Archival sources

  • Rentals of Meredith estate at Ballisodare, Achonry & Killaspugbrone, 1853. F.C/D2/9.; Sligo County Library
  • Rentals of Meredith estate, 1878-89, 1893-1905. Robinson Collection. ; Sligo County Library
  • Cloonamahon photographs, 030/058.; Irish Architectural Archive
  • Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Meredith, 23 June 1854, Vol 29, MRGS 39/013, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources