Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Chambers

The Chambers family came to Kilmacowen in the 18th century when they took over the former Smith estate at Cloverhill. Roger Chambers, his wife, seven children and four servants are recorded as living at Cloverhill in the 1749 Census of Elphin. The Smith property had passed, through inheritence, to the Crichtons, Earls of Erne, of Crom Castle, Co. Fermanagh. The Chambers also had associations with this family and acted as agents on their Sligo estates. In 1857 Charles Chambers was leasing the house at Cloverhill, valued at £28, from the Earl of Erne.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Cloverhill Knocknashammer or Cloverhill Kilmacowen Sligo Kilmacowen 59 Carbury Sligo OSI Ref: G671328
OS Sheet: 14
Discovery map: 25