The Jones family were descended from Sir Roger Jones who held mortgages on land which had previously belonged to the O'Haras. In the mid-19th century the family members became Catholic and the head of the family, Daniel Jones, SJ, made over the property to the Sisters of Charity. In May 1857 he offered six lots of lands for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court. Rev. Daniel Jones and some other family members are buried in the nearby graveyard.
- GO MSS 175 Pedigree of Jones of Benada & Idryell, county Sligo, 1635-1845. ; National Library of Ireland
- Encumbered Estates’ Court Rentals (O’Brien), Jones , 5 May 1857, Vol 45, MRGS 39/022, (microfilm copy in NUIG) ; National Archives of Ireland
- Typescript of life of Daniel Jones of Benada, SJ. ; Sligo County Library
Contemporary printed sources
- HUSSEY DE BURGH, U. H. ''The Landowners of Ireland. An alphabetical list of the owners of estates of 500 acres or £500 valuation and upwards in Ireland''. Dublin: Hodges, Foster and Figgis, 1878. [available online at www.askaboutireland.ie] : 239-240?
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Tobercurry Union, 11
- LEWIS, Samuel. ''A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland''. London: S. Lewis & Co., 1837: Vol II, 167
- ORDNANCE SURVEY NAME BOOKS, County Sligo: Vol II, 152
- LEET, Ambrose. ''A directory to the market towns, villages, gentlemen's seats, and other noted places in Ireland''. Dublin: Printed by B. Smith, 1814 : 59
- PARLIAMENTARY PAPERS. ''15th Annual Report of the Commissioners of Public Records Ireland,'' 1825. Vol XVI, Appendix I, Grants under Acts of Settlement: 234
- ''GRIFFITH'S VALUATION OF IRELAND'[Primary Valuation of Tenements]', 1850-1858. : Dromore West Union, 94 (Altanelvick)
- WILSON, William. ''The Post-Chaise Companion or Travellers Directory Through Ireland''. The author: Dublin, 1786 : 395 (Banada)
Modern printed sources
- O'RORKE, T. The History of Sligo, county and town. Dublin: J. Duffy, [n.d]. : Vol II, 147
- McTERNAN, John. ''A Sligo miscellany: a chronicle of people, places and events of other days''. Sligo: Avena publications, 2000. : 74.
- ''Corran Herald'': McDONNELL-GARVEY, Máire. Benada Abbey, a short history. XXXII (1999-2000), 9-10.
- ''Corran Herald'': McDONNELL-GARVEY, Máire. Benada Abbey, 1423-1862. XXXI (1998-1999), 28-29.
- McTERNAN, John C. ''Sligo: the light of bygone days, Vol.I Houses of Sligo and associated families''. Sligo: Avena Publications, 2009. : 229-230 (Altanelvick), 263-264 (Benada Abbey)
- ''Sligo Field Club Journal'': JONES, Daniel. Jones family of Benada Abbey. 3 (2017), pp.41-45.