Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Kirkwood (Cottlestown & Clooncunny)

The Kirkwood estate was centred on Cottlestown in the Barony of Tireragh, where they held extensive property interests from the late 18th up the mid 19th century. The estate was sold in 1860 to the Boyd family who held it until the early 20th century. John Boyd is recorded as owning 1444 acres in county Sligo in 1876. Church lands at Clooncunny in the parish of Achonry were also leased by the Kirkwood family and in turn rented, princially to the Rice family. Thomas Rice occupied the lands from the 1830s to at least the 1860s.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Clooncunny Clooncunny Achonry Tobercurry Streamstown Leyny Sligo OSI Ref: G590171
OS Sheet: 32
Discovery map: 25
Cottlestown Cottlestown Castleconnor Dromore West Castleconnor West 15 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G291259
OS Sheet: 22
Discovery map: 24