Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Niddrie

Peter Niddrie, MD, rented the house at Carrowmacrory from Mrs. Esther Hillas in 1857. Grace [Nedden] Niddrie is recorded as the owner of over 2000 acres in county Sligo in 1876. In 1906 the representatives of Grace Niddrie were still listed as occupiers of property at Comcuill townland, including a mansion house. Over 1600 acres of the estate had been offered for sale in the Landed Estates Court in May 1874. Over 1500 acres at Rathgoonane were sold to Mr. Cosgrave in trust for Colonel Cooper. Sale of the remaining lot was adjourned. The Irish Times reported in June 1875 that a further sale had taken place out of court. In 1878 Peter Niddrie's daugher and heiress, Elizabeth, married James Caulfield Beamish, son of Robert Delacour Beamish, of Ditchley, county Cork and their son William afterwards inherited Camcuill.

Associated Families

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Seaview or Doonecoy Carrowmacrory Skreen Dromore West Templeboy North 27 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G462336
OS Sheet: 12
Discovery map: 24
Cuffe House or Camcuil Camcuill Kilmacshalgan Dromore West Buncorwey 17 Tireragh Sligo OSI Ref: G397324
OS Sheet: 11
Discovery map: 24

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Niddrie, 8 May 1874, Vol 114, MRGS 39/052, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Niddrie, 25 June 1875, Vol 120, MRGS 39/054, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources