Landed Estates
NUI Galway

Smyth (Portlick Castle)

From the early 18th century the Smyths of Portlick Castle, near Athlone, county Westmeath, owned a small estate in county Galway. In 1824 Smyth of Springlawn was recorded as an absentee landlord in county Galway. The estate was comprised of two townlands in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway in the mid 1850s. The Smyths were involved with the Irelands with a mortgage on Springlawn and Castlegar and lands in Kilkenny West, count Westmeath in 1864. In the 1870s the Smyths owned 799 acres in county Galway and 459 acres in county Westmeath. Two annuities charged on the lands of the Smyths in counties Westmeath and Galway were advertised for sale in January 1871. By March 1916 a final offer of £6,000 had been received by Robert W. Smyth from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his county Galway estate.

Houses

Name Townland Civil Parish PLU DED Barony County Map Ref
Castlegar Castlegar Ballynakill Mountbellew Ballynakill 152 Killian Galway OSI Ref: M680 474
OS Sheet: 46
Discovery map: 46
Springlawn Springlawn Ballynakill Mountbellew Ballynakill 152 Killian Galway OSI Ref: M656 493
OS Sheet: 46
Discovery map: 46

Archival sources

  • Landed Estates' Court Rentals (O'Brien), Smyth, 13 Jan 1871, Vol 100, MRGS 39/047, (microfilm copy in NUIG); National Archives of Ireland
  • Collis & Ward, solicitors' collection, includes a transfer of a mortgage of Springlawn & Castlegar, barony of Killian and lands in Kilkenny West, Co Westmeath, Gibson to Ireland & Smith, 1864. Small Accs. Index 98, D.21,987; National Archives of Ireland

Contemporary printed sources

Modern printed sources