William Ireland from Chester settled in Ireland in the late 17th century, purchasing estates in counties Kildare and Laois. He married Margaret de Courcey, sister and heir of Almerius de Courcery, Lord Kingsale. Their grandson, Richard Ireland, settled in the vicinity of Headford, county Galway and married Catherine Lynch of Lydican. Their son, Reverend William Ireland, Warden of Galway, married Magdalen, daughter of John Irwin of Lisbally, county Sligo and granddaughter of Henry Irwin of Roxborough, county Roscommon. They had two sons, De Courcey Ireland and Richard Ireland. De Courcey Ireland and his wife Susanna Stanley, sister of Sir Edmund Stanley, whose grandfather acquired the estates of Low Park and Bethlem, Kilkenny West, county Westmeath, in the early 18th century, had six sons, including Arthur Ireland, bursar of Queen's College, Galway.
|Hall (Leitrim, Roscommon, Tipperary)||Robert Hall, an Enniskillen merchant, purchased Merton Hall, county Tipperary, in 1828 and in 1841 was murdered in Uskane.The representatives of Robert Hall were lessors of townlands in the parish of Fenagh, barony of Leitrim and parish of Drumreilly, barony of Dromahaire, county Leitrim in 1856. In the 1870s Mrs. Hall of Merton Hall, Borrisokane, county Tipperary, owned 186 acres in Leitrim while the representatives of Robert Hall held 402 acres. Robert Hall is also recorded as the lessor of lands in the parish of Kilronan, barony of Boyle, county Roscommon at the time of Griffith's Valuation. At the same time Richard Hall was a lessor in the parish of Roscommon, barony of Ballintober South. Members of the Hall family with addresses in London owned almost 500 acres in county Roscommon in the 1870s. The county Tipperary estate of the Halls was in the barony of Lower Ormond, mainly in the parish of Uskane but also in the parishes of Aglishcloghane, Kilbarron and Modreeny. The estate of Richard Hall, of Innismore Hall, county Fermanagh and Robert Hall, of Merton Hall, county Tipperary, including lands in counties Roscommon, Leitrim, Tipperary, Dublin and Fermanagh, in total 3,966 acres, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in December 1858. Over 1300 acres of the Hall estate was offered for sale in the Landed Estates' Court in November 1877 and again in the Land Judges Court in 1878 and 1879. This sale included lands in the baronies of Dromahaire and Leitrim, county Leitrim. Hussey de Burgh records the representatives of Robert Hall as owners of 724 acres in county Louth, 369 acres in county Tipperary and 272 acres in county Wicklow. Ada Ireland (nee Hall), wife of De Courcy Plunkett Ireland, was one of the representatives of Robert Hall. In the 1880s Bateman records Richard Hall as the owner of some of this property, including 465 acres in county Roscommon, 369 acres in Tipperary and 588 acres in Leitrim.|
|Davis/Davies (Kilconnell)||John Davies was resident at Castle-bin, Kilconnell, in 1814. The estate of George Davies, in the parish of Aughrim, barony of Kilconnell, was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in April 1853. The original lease by which Davies held the property dated from 1782 renewable forever. George Davies was the tenant on a holding, consisting of 144 acres, at Rehill, the property of Sophia Mary Ireland, offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1852.Francis Davis was one of the principal lessors in the parish of Killallaghtan, barony of Kilconnell. This may the the same Francis Davys who leasing Ballymantan, parish of Kiltartan. Francis Davis held over 1,000 acres in the parish of Cloontuskert, barony of Ballintober South, county Roscommon, at the time of Griffith's Valuation. Some of his estate was offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates' Court in November 1855. The Davies of county Clare are descended from Thomas Davies of Newcastle, county Galway, brother of William Davies of Hampstead and John Davies of Kentstown. The county Clare branch of the family were related to the Pilkingtons and the Bentleys and were living at Rosslevan in the 1820s. Francis Davis held land in the parish of Kilmurry, barony of Ibrickan in the early 1850s. Francis Davis of Kingstown, Dublin, owned 915 acres in county Clare.|
|Smyth (Portlick Castle)||From the early 18th century the Smyths of Portlick Castle, near Athlone, county Westmeath, owned a small estate in county Galway. In 1824 Smyth of Springlawn was recorded as an absentee landlord in county Galway. The estate was comprised of two townlands in the parish of Ballynakill, barony of Killian, county Galway in the mid 1850s. The Smyths were involved with the Irelands with a mortgage on Springlawn and Castlegar and lands in Kilkenny West, count Westmeath in 1864. In the 1870s the Smyths owned 799 acres in county Galway and 459 acres in county Westmeath. Two annuities charged on the lands of the Smyths in counties Westmeath and Galway were advertised for sale in January 1871. By March 1916 a final offer of £6,000 had been received by Robert W. Smyth from the Congested Districts' Board for the purchase of his county Galway estate.|
|Daly (Kiltartan)||An estate at Roo, in the barony of Kiltartan, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in April 1873. At that time it was the property of Isaac Daly and his wife Henrietta and John Ireland and his wife Henrietta. In the 1870s Henrietta Daly is recorded as owning 88 acres in county Galway. The ''Return of Proprietors'' in 1876 lists Isaac Daly as the holder of over 4500 acres in county Galway.|
|Ireland (Galway & Kiltartan)||The Ireland family settled in the midlands in the 17th century. Through marriage with the Lynch family of Lydican, county Galway and the Stanley family of county Westmeath they came to acquire land in counties Galway, Roscommon and Westmeath in the 18th and 19th centuries. The Irelands were an influential family involved in the administrative and business life of Galway city in the mid-19th century. John Ireland of Eyre Square, Galway, married Eliza Josephina McDonnell in July 1836. He is buried in the grounds of St. James' Church, Bushy Park. John Ireland's brother Arthur was the first Bursar of Queen's College, Galway. Property at Eyre Square, Galway, owned by Edward Ireland, was sold in the Landed Estates Court in November 1866. The purchaser was Captain Forster. The estate at Roo, in the barony of Kiltartan, was offered for sale in the Landed Estates court in April 1873. At that time it was the property of Isaac Daly and his wife Henrietta and John Ireland and his wife Henrietta. The estate, amounting to over 600 acres, of Sophia Mary Ireland in the barony of Kilconnell were offered for sale in the Encumbered Estates Court in March 1851 and 1852. The sale also included lands in the barony of Kilkenny West, county Westmeath. In March 1851, the Freeman's Journal reported that the Galway lands were purchased by William Fry but the sale of the some of the Westmeath lands were adjourned due to insufficient bidding. A Mrs. Ireland, address at Woodlawn, is recorded as the owner of over 1200 acres in county Galway in the 1870s. At the same time Samuel Gardiner Ireland of Roberstown, Naas, county Kildare, a nephew of John and Arthur Ireland of Galway, owned 121 acres in county Roscommon, 314 acres in county Westmeath and 242 acres in county Kildare.|